Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

guru/stoker single or double

Options
Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's the deal. I am thinking of buying a draft control system and I haven't yet decided on guru or stoker. I'll make that decision sometime soon. The part I am having trouble with is whether I should buy the single cooker or double cooker control? The cost difference to go to a two cooker control will be around $175 for the guru config I want, and $105 for the stoker. I have my second large coming this week and I am trying to decide what to do. In all honesty, I don't see myself needing to be able to control two cookers, but would like to hear what the experts have to say???
Thanks in advance,

Comments

• thailandjohn
    Options
    I have the Stoker and I know you can control two or even more units with the basic

The Stoker has five ports and each port can be used for whatever is needed, monitor or Pitt temp
  • BobinFla
    Options
    Last weekend, I controlled 2 pits and monitered 6 different meats with my Stoker. I wished that I had another fan and pit probe, so that I could have controlled a third pit.

One advantage of the Stoker is that you can add components, fans, pit probes and meat probes, as they become "necessary". You don't have to buy the entire set all at once.

BOB
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't realize that the basic unit would work on multiple cookers. That creates a whole new mess for me to think about. However, it does have me leaning that way, now...
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    Thanks, John
    So you have the basic unit and just add the options as you go along. I really like that idea.
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    I just sold my BBQ Guru Digi-QII to a friend. It was flawless and a first class unit all the way. However, I always regretted not getting the Stoker because I love gadgets and controlling things on a computer. The Stoker can do this wireless as you know. I will be getting the Stoker in a few days. I paid them and they shipped the next day. I also like that I can use the single Stoker for multiple Eggs. Right now I only own a large Egg, but that will change soon and I can see myself controlling multiple Eggs in the future. I bought the Stoker with 3 food probes. I will be able to control multiple food items on my Stoker and with the Digi, I could only control 1 (plus you can only control 1 Egg with it and with the Stoker you can control a lot of them). I can vouch for anything that the BBQ Guru puts out (I buy a lot of sauces, rubs from them also) and from everyone I have talked to and from the many people on here who own the Stoker, it is an excellent product as well. I guess it depends on how technological you want to get and how many probes/units you want to control with a single device. Good luck. Either way you can't lose.
  • Roll Tide
    Options
    I am a high tech kind of guy and would love the ability to receive tweets and monitor/control my cookers remotely. I currently stand at 4 charcoal grill/smokers, 2 of which are bge so being able to expand my blowers, adaptors, etc... to meet my needs over a frame of time is very exciting.I believe you guys just sold me on the stoker. Thanks from me and to a much, much, much lesser degree, my wife!