Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot sauce for non crusted non fried wings and ABT idea

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for a hot sauce to make that would go with those wonderful crusted chicken wings tonight. I may also cook some mild ABTs for the first time as well, if anyone has any seafood ideas for those that would be nice too![p]Thanks

Comments

• Big Murth
    Options
    egghead2004,
    Here's one that I like...found it on the internet and reminds me of that WingTime brand of sauce on the shelves:[p]12oz. bottle of Crystal, or Frank's or Durkee's Louisiana hot sauce
    1/2 stick of butter
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    tablespoon of flour
    2 tablespoons of champagne or red wine vinegar
    tablespoon of oregano[p]Melt the butter in a medium saucepan at low heat and then saute the minced garlic...make sure you don't burn the garlic. Make a little roux out of that by adding the flour and stirring continuously for about 5 minutes. It will thicken and fluff up a bit as you cook it on very low heat...don't let it burn! Then slowly add the hot sauce, continuing to stir, add in the oregano to taste, and let it simmer quite low for 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend nicely and letting your sauce thicken slightly. At the end, add a tablespoon or two of vinegar to finish, and stir again.
    Paint your wings while they cook with this sauce, and offer some warm, upon serving and eating. Easy and delicious!
    Big Murth[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]Okay, I'm confused. Your subject line said non crusted then crusted wings in the text. I also am looking for a good hot sauce for Chef RD's wings. A post awhile back suggested butter and Louisiana Hot Sauce. Just trying to help and maybe you get me in the right direction also.[p]CWM
  • Sandlapper
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I believe that was me....Before grilling I mix up olive oil and Tony Chachere's "Original Seasoning" and rub into the wings. Heat up the hot sauce with the butter and toss with the cooked wings. I suggest "The Original Louisiana Hot Sauce." Serve with Kens chunky blue cheese dressing with additional crumbled blue cheese and swirl in additional hot sauce to taste. A side of celery sticks and cajun slaw helps cool down the heat. Simple is best!!!

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Sandlapper,[p]I was going to take my wings and dip in the butter/hot sauce served with the specifics you gave. My thought was to heat and dip then serve no more cooking.
    Just sounds great.[p]CWM

• Sandlapper
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Exactly!!!

• Sandlapper
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]BTW....If you have the rare chance to find "Sourwood Honey"...only indigenous to the South and usually found at roadside stands...BUY SOME!! it goes great when mixed in with the hot sauce and butter mixture...

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Sandlapper, I have found that clear Kayro syrup mixed withe hotcauce of choice and then sprinkled with lemon pepper are hard to beat. Sprinkled after dipping of course. Almost let that one fly.

• egghead2004 and CWM,[p]I make a sauce using a stick of butter, 1 big jar of Louisana Hot Sauce, White Vinegar, and a big squeeze of ketchup and a big squeeze of mustard. I just heat that up in sauce pan stirring. It is fantastic.[p]
    Bullet Bob

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Bulet Bob,[p]Sounds good. Bring me home a winner from NO.[p]CWM