Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp vs. Door Opening

Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a temp vs. door opening table, chart, graph, pictures, etc...[p]I have done plenty of low-n-slows but I struggle to maintain a stable temperature at elevated temps. Say 300, 325, 350, 400 etc. I have no problem with 700+. I'm trying to do more baking and other oven like cooking. I have Ms. Daisy on the job as well.[p]Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Doug

Comments

• Smoked Signals,
    i do a lot of baking/roasting in 325 - 400 degree range. . i find that each cook has its own set of parameters. ..i think a lot has to do with how much mass is in the egg (i.e. big dutch oven vs. baking pan, etc. . .usually though, i find a bottom vent setting of about 1/4 to 1/2 with main part of daisy wheel closed (only the little holes open) then fine tune adjustments of the daisy wheel works best. . .i'm usually able to then hold the desired temp very nicely for many hours. .. also, when i am baking or roasting, i try to get the egg good and stable for a good hour prior to putting the food on. ..this way the fire is well established. .. it also cuts down on any bitter smoke taste that may be imparted by a fresh fire. . .hope this helps[p]max

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Smoked Signals,
    Get a set of MickyT's rings. Low tech, simple and reliable. This is not a knock against any other product, just an endorsement of a product that I use and really like. It makes my life much easier when cooking and entertaining with 2 small kids and guests around.
    Seth

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Crab leg,[p]I have been intrigued by these since I got my egg. Now that my wife's started cooking as well, they seem like something we should get. [p]At our place it's light the fire, do other stuff, then recover the temp when you lost it by not paying attention. I think these would be GREAT for that.[p]Also, I think these would be great gifts to fellow eggers. How about a little website there, MicktT?[p]Maybe you'd like to hang something off of our website to sell these?
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Smoked Signals, to get 350 My bottom door is fully open and the wheel is open so the ports are fully exposed. Then it just sliding the top over to increase from there.

• Crab leg
    Mark Backer,
    Just email him. His email is available through his profile. Mick is a great guy, not looking for any "pub", just shared a great idea with the forum and people showed an interest. I am pretty sure he sells them at cost. Email him, he will hook you up. They make overnight cooks quite uneventful. Happy to help.
    Seth

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    tach18k,[p]300-325 is the bottom vent wide open and only the daisy holes open for me.
  • Mark Backer,
    You guys are kidding, right? Bottom vent opened fully or half to three-quarters. Wow! 350 for me bottom vent is open only finger width (1/2 inch) daisy small holes open half way. This is after getting an established fire. Just my 2 cents.[p]Joe

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    rings.jpg
    <p />Crab leg,
    Thanks for the kind words Seth. My bottom vent is always wide open when I use the rings, no matter lo n slo or steaks.[p]You can see a few rings on my table.[p]Happy eggin.[p]Mick

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Smoked Signals,
    Whatever other techniques you use, you definitely want to sneak up on a stable baking temp from below. [p]And I've never had luck trying to hurry the process of stabilizing temps in the mid-range. My rule of thumb is to give any minor vent adjustment around 10 minutes to take effect before making another one. It's time-consuming, but it seems to work for me. [p]I'm still playing around with too many other variables (brands and amounts of charcoal in particular) to have come up with any other useful SOPs. [p]Bob

• MickeyT,[p]I'm not sure I've seen the purpose of the rings, so if you could post a link I would appreciate it.[p]Also, do you have a picture of your entire table that you could post. It looks like a pretty good design.[p]Thanks
  • Crab leg
    Scottinkc,
    It kinda goes like this.... The more air you get going through the egg, the higher the temps will be. The rings limit the ammount of air that goes out the top of the egg, thus limiting the air in the bottom. When I use my rings, i open the bottom door/vent all the way. The ring governs the amount of air, thus controlling the temp. As stated in another post, it is better to creep up to the temp that you desire, so I put the ring that I think will get me the temp that I desire on, and let the fire stabalize for 10-15 minutes. If it is a little low, I will put the next size ring on, and so on. Hope this helps.
    Seth

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    101-0155_IMG.JPG
    <p />Scottinkc,
    Here's the table. Didn't have time to scale it. Sorry about the dial up folks. 3 hours from lumber store to egg install.[p]Mick

• Crab leg,[p]Thanks for the reply. It helps a bit, but I still have two other questions. The rings go on top in place of the cast iron wheel, correct? Different diameter openings allow for different temps. What are the wheels made out of?[p]Thanks
  • Crab leg
    ScottinKC,
    You are correct, the rings go on top of the egg, and many people put their Daisy wheel on top to hold it in place. The rings are made of wood and hold up quite well(unless you leave a few of them out pretty much all winter like I did) Hope this helps.
    Seth
    Just get with Mick and get some. You will be happy that you did.