Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Abt's

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am sure this has been discussed, but I want to do some abt's and I don't know how to buy the peppers. Can I get some advice on what to buy and what to look for in the right peppers.

Comments

• Marine Cook
    Options
    Tom,[p]Check out my version I hope this answers your questions.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
    [ul][li]The Chow Hall's ABT's[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Tom,
    Fresh is definitely best. Try to avoid peppers with a soft, wrinkled or dull colored outer flesh. Medium is a good all around size and is easy to work with. Here in Texas we are fortunate to have a good selection pretty much year round but in other areas of the country, good peppers may be hard to find. Shop in stores or fresh markets that cater to the Hispanic community. You know those folks will demand good jalapenos and other peppers.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Marine Cook,[p]Wow! great pics!
  • Eggsellent
    Options
    Tom,
    I assume you want Jalapeno peppers. If so, I found this information on a Jalapeno website...[p]Good-quality Jalapeno peppers should be firm, smooth-skinned and have solid green coloring. Dry lines are not a blemish. They are signs of a mature pepper and indicate hotness. Avoid product that is soft, bruised, has wrinkled skin or spots of mold.[p]I have also used Bell Peppers (Green, Red Yellow and Orange) for a sweeter taste and because my husband can't eat spicy food. If you look for bell peppers - Choose peppers that have good color and a glossy surface. Peppers should be firm and feel heavy for their size.[p]If you want a medium spicy taste, try banana peppers.[p]I have found all in my local grocery stores (Kroger, Publix, etc). Sometimes they are in the health food section.[p]Good Luck!