Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oven Thermometer

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 10,996
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a used egg and trying to rehab the egg back to life. This will be my second egg and will see small work loads. Since the egg is used and has no warranty, I plan on using it for low temp cooks. My other egg with the warranty will be my workhorse. My egg thermometer is shot. Since I plan on using my rehab egg on low temp cooks, could I use a oven temp thermometer? I'm looking for a cheap thermometer to plug in the egg hole. I realise it won't do what a $30 Tel Tru thermometer does but I'm guessing it will give me the same results as a stock egg thermometer. I know the temp will be off but no different then the stock BGE thermometer. Not worth spending the extra $10 on the "BGE" name and have the same cruddy thermometer. I'm guessing the spare egg might see work 1-2 times a month. No need for anything fancy for the spare. This egg is on a budget. Oven temp guage work?
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota