Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Tenderizer ?

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

My curiosity got the better of me. I have seen meat tenderizers on the grocery shelves for a long time and have been curious if they worked and if they imparted any strange flavors or demonstrated any negative or positive effects. My steaks have not been terribly impressive recently and I was looking for something that might help.

I had a rib eye steak defrosted for dinner last night. While at the grocery store I looked to see what was available for a meat tenderizer. There were a couple of brands and I settled on McCormick's as it was a few cents cheaper and the active ingredient was a little higher on the list.
DSCN0001.jpg
DSCN6857.jpg
DSCN6885AA.jpg

When I prepped my steak for the egg I used the meat tenderizer in place of salt. I probably used less then what the label calls for and I got side tracked and didn't pierce with a fork. This steak was only about 3/4" to 1" so I wasn't to concerned. My egg was hotter then I wanted when I went to cook my steak so it (the steak) had to wait a few minutes while I got the temp down a bit. I cooked the steak same as always. The results was a very tender, very juicy and very flavorful steak. Now, this was a rib eye and may have been just that good a steak to begin with. Then again it may have benefited from the meat tenderizer. It will be interesting to experiment with cheaper cuts.

Before I shook a strange powder all over a rib eye steak I did a little research on what I had purchased. The active ingredient in the meat tenderizer is bromelain. Having never heard of it before I went to the web and read the Wiki article I have linked to. Very interesting! Who would have guessed. Pineapples and bromeliads. We have bromeliads all over the place down here.
DSC_0123A_640.jpg

IMG_1403A_640.jpg

IMG_1429A_640.jpg

These were all photographed in Corkscrew Swamp, last week I noticed a large bromeliad growing in a tree in downtown Fort Myers, you can find them anywhere.

I though the information on bromelain being negated by heat interesting. It was a relief that my left over steak that I finished tonight hadn't been reduced to a puddle. :lol:

Sorry no pictures of the cook, I didn't think of it until to late.

Any information you can add or recommendations would be appreciated.

Blair

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Papaya is also used in a few different forms.

http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/papayatenderizemeathow.htm

Also a jaccard is useful sometimes.

Jaccard.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Richard, very interesting. I bookmarked that for future reference.

Blair

• Patty'O
    Options
    Tenderizer can make a good piece of meat mushy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papain
    Try a marinade instead. I have the Jaccard too. I use it for Swiss steak and a chuck stew.
    PattyO
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    What does it do to your insides?
  • Gator Bait
    Options

LOL, I don't think it tenderizes it. I think some of the research indicates that the bromelain is also an anti inflammatory that may work similar to ibuprofen. You can by it in tablet form at health food stores and take it as a dietary supplement. I think the jury is still out on all uses except for tenderizing meats.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Patty, do you like the Jaccard?

Blair

• THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    I have used meat tenderizer several times with excellent results. Firt I make a paste of it and then spread it on my skin where I have come in contact with bull nettle or, when SCUBA diving, come in contact with fire coral. It takes the sting out. The enzymes dissolve the irratations in the stinging and almost instant relief. The alternative to this, which also works is to take a leak on the effected body parts. Don't work too good on areas that can't be reached not does it work too good on areas of your partner which they can't reach. Kinda like "Dr says youre gonna itch and sting"

As for cooking meat, it always seems to have a consistancy of almost predigested near the surface to meat. I personally don't like to use it.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi THA, I like your alternative uses, very interesting. I will be interested to see the results I get on meat with it. My first attempt showed nothing objectionable.

Blair

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great post and research.
    Always enjoy the time you put into your posts.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Darian, I have been exposed to research one way or another for much of my life and a degree from a research university was only natural. I enjoy a complete post. :)

Blair

• BigBadger
    Options
    Bromelain is like papain, both of which are protease enzymes which kind loosen the protein strands of meats. As mentioned before if left on too long the meat gets too soft and 'mushy'. It works okay on cheaper cuts of beef but personally I prefer a good marinade.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks BigBadger, I like marinades also but thought I would experiment with the meat tenderizer. The first mushy piece of meat I eat will probably end my experiments. :lol:

Blair

• Patty'O
    Options
    I love the Jaccard, but on things that I braise like Swiss steak. For grilling a steak I just get a good piece of meat directly on the grill, and maybe a flavorful marinade. Tenderizer pre-digests the food. I don't use MSG either. Just my preference.
    PattyO
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Patty, I have been getting my steaks at Sam's Club and some are tender and then some are not. I have gotten so I slice my steaks very thin to help make them tender which helps. My first experiment with the meat tenderizer went well and my steak wasn't overly mushy. I think cooking immediately after applying, limiting how much I used and not piercing with a fork before applying probably helped on this thickness of meat. I have had Porterhouse/T Bones that were a good chew and a disappointment for what they cost. I also like marinades but they are not always convenient. I too have not used MSG . . . yet. I have a sister that is sensitive to it and I avoided it for years in respect for her. Now that I cook for myself I may give it a try. It has been well tested and has been found harmless for most people in normal applications. I have seen the Jaccard tenderizers around for years and have watched chefs on the TV use them for everything but have never tried one myself. I may have to get one.

Blair