Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter

Options
Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone heard of a looftlighter or have one? One of the local BGE dealers just got them in and says it's the greatest thing ever for lighting your fire.

At $79.95, I wanted to see if anyone else had used one before considering a purchase. Thanks!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    go up to the search box and enter that - there are 100 hits.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Patty'O
    Options
    I have one. I love it. I light about three or four spots in my medium egg to get the coals starting. Each spot takes about one minute. Be careful you don't get a flying ember in your eye. I did. Ouch. It's a hair dryer on steroids. Be sure you have an elec outlet near your egg.
    PattyO
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    The Looftlighter is great. I use it for everything but pizza, for which I use a weedburner.

Sometimes it helps to use lump also :evil:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Works great unfortunately it has a high failure rate.
  • GoKooL
    Options
    It's a neat plaything, but less than ideal. You do have to stand there with your arm in the grill, button depressed, holding the tip of it on the coals for the 60 seconds or so it takes to light a spot. Multiply that time 3-4 as previously mentioned. The fire spreads fairly quickly after that, but I would much rather not be tethered to the grill for 4-5 minutes trying to light it (not to mention the sometimes significant ash and ember storm that can occur). I still have it, but use my electric starter almost every time.