Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best in the West don't miss suggestions

Davecooksslow
Davecooksslow Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're off on Wednesday to The Best in the West Rib cook off ( not contestants). I hesitate to list all 24 contestants, but if any of you have a don't miss suggestion, I'd love to know. I can't try them all.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Davecooksslow: Never been to that particular cook off, but any others I have been to, you are far from guaranteed tastings. Perhaps this one is different, but I wouldn't anticipate walking away with a full belly. Maybe if you are really good at pleading though?? :) Usually teams just cook enough for their box, and a back-up, with no intention of feeding spectators. As I said from the beginning, I don't know that particular contest, but I wouldn't expect to be able to taste from all. Just my experience from other cook-offs/contests.
  • I understand they sell "samples" at each booth. It'll my first visit.
  • Little Chef
    Davecooksslow: I just visited the website (Nuggets?? Best of the West?) I am REALLLLLY hoping somebody chimes in with experience at this particular event!!!! If this is the same as other rib cook-off events I have attended in the south, expect to stand in long lines, for crap ribs, and pay huge dollars (like $20) per rack! No interaction with the cooks, as they are really just pushing out junk product. It is certainly no eggfest, nor a KCBS event, where you can really get some face time with the competitors. I HOPE I am wrong. We will see where this post goes tomorrow. Don't want to see you go to a great expense for a bunch of junk...Again, I hope I am dead wrong!! :)
    (If it the same type of event I have attended, expect to pay $6-9 for a 'sample'.)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    I have never attended myself but one of my co-worked did. It is as you described. They are there to sell ribs. He said it was quite expensive.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    You have never been there, yet you are an expert on the event?
  • LC, I have heard it is expensive for the samples. That's why I;m hoping for the direction. We only live an hour away, one of kids lives close, and we love to hear "Mumbo Gumbo" the opening band. So we'll have a good time. I'll report on my limited sampling of the ribs. We're going to the eggfest in Sacramento October 9 and 10. That I know will be great.

Dave in Plumas County
  • This is more of a selling event than a contest

When I owned my big rigs, I cooked in the Best of the West two years In a row

They had 23 cookers when I was there and now they have added a few more

When we were there, we cooked 3000 lbs of ribs, 800 lbs of brisket and several hundred chicken halves

We were the small cooker, the others cooked about twice as much a us

Several of these teams travel all around the country just doing these events

It was lots of fun to participate, thousands of people, but I would never do it again.....way to much work

Ribs will cost at least $5 for two ribs,they also will be selling sandwiches, etc

This is a money making event and the lines are long

To give you some idea....when we cooked there, two ribs were $3.00, brisket sandwich, $5.00, 1/2 chicken, $7.00 and this was in the early 90's

http://jvp.smugmug.com/Barbeque
  • Little Chef
    Boxerpapa: Yes, I am an expert on the event, NOT! The following are quotes from the two previous posts where I claimed to be such an "expert" on the event... :angry: :laugh:

"...As I said from the beginning, I don't know that particular contest, but I wouldn't expect to be able to taste from all. Just my experience from other cook-offs/contests..."

"...I just visited the website (Nuggets?? Best of the West?) I am REALLLLLY hoping somebody chimes in with experience at this particular event!!!! If this is the same as other rib cook-off events I have attended...."

"...Again, I hope I am dead wrong!!
    (If it the same type of event I have attended, expect to pay $6-9 for a 'sample'.)..."

It's all good, but didn't find your comment necessary. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    and her music goes something like" does your udder hang hang low. does it waggle to and fro? can you tie it in a knot? can you tie it in a bow? does your udder hang lowwwwwwwwwwwww??????