Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey

Bill Bressler
Bill Bressler Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a medium BGE, and was wondering if a 13lb turkey will fit. Also, I have a vertical conelike piece that was given to me as a gift....is that what everyone's talking about for standing the turkey up while cooking? And has anybody tried smoking the turkey for a longer period of time at a lower temp like 250?[p]Sorry for the rant, but this is my first Thanksgiving I'm hosting, and I just want to impress everyone with my favorite grill in the world, and unfortunately I'm not big in the cooking terminology department, so I hope someone can understand what I mean.[p]P.S. I just replaced the gasket (that felt-like material that goes around the rim of the top and bottom, right?), and although it looks like I made a perfect seal, I'm still noticing smoke escaping out the back of the grill, as opposed to only the top. Any ideas??[p]Thanks for your help!![p]Sincerely,
Bill

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Bill Bressler,[p]Yes, a 13lb bird should work just fine in the medium. I would consider a higher temp rather than a slow smoke. The bird will dry out more at the longer and slow smoke. the higher temp will also provide a crisper skin more to your liking.[p]The "cone shape" item you are talking about is called a chicken sitter (the orginal term) and works great for poultry. I think you will have great success with it.[p]Unless the smoke is really pouring out the back of the egg, I would not worry too much about your seal. Mine has always had a little puff here and there, yet performs perfectly for all practical purposes.[p]You are in for some great eating this Thanksgiving when that golden birds comes off the egg.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Bill a 13 lb turkey works fine on a medium egg. Loosely lay an onion, celery stalks and carrots in the cavity of the bird. If you want the skin browned lightly rub with olive oil. I also use an aluminum pan with just of chicken stock in the bottom. Place the bird in the egg @ 275-300 degrees and forget about it for roughly 20 minutes per lb. I promise your guest will not be disappointed.[p]As for smoke escaping from the sides grill I simply block the wind with a large ceramic tile

• Bill Bressler, I cook a turkey about once every six weeks. You do not want to try the low temperature route... cook it indirect with plate setter and drip pan ; 350 degrees for 12 to 15 mins per pound. When the breast temp hits 160 and the legs are 180 , remove the bird and rest it for 15 mins. The other suggestions are good, oil the skin, use a good rub, stuff something(apples, onions, spices) in the cavity, etc. If you cook the bird in a horizontal position, place the legs toward the rear (hotter) part of the egg. This will help get them to 180 degrees faster than the breast.You might try brining the bird or injecting the breast meat if you want to really go all out...but just an Egged bird will WOW everyone so...... Now, I would differ with the others on the gap problem. A Gap allows hot gases to exit over your felt gasket, which damages and destroys the gasket. You always want a good seal as one of the neat traits of the Egg is the airtight design. To eliminate the gap, loosen the top and bottom bands. Now push down on the top dome. Look at the seal from the side and see that you have no gap visible. Next, alternately re-tighten the top bolt one turn, then the bottom bolt one turn, etc until your two bands are tight and the bolts are bent 15 degrees. You should have no gap and a good seal....