Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook on BGE

Options
jetmech
jetmech Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to Indy Eggfest yesterday and had put a deposit down on an egg prior to the event. Have been wanting to get one for a few years now but something else always got in the way. Well I finally brought home a large and jumped in with both feet and picked up a small brisket (flat) 6lbs. All in all it turned out pretty damn good for my first Eggsperience and I learned a few things, made some notes and ready to tackle the world now.

44812_1570133414519_1270987997_1605157_5243368_n.jpg

Comments

• Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Congratulations. You'll have many years of enjoyment. I've had mine for about five years and still cook on it the majority of the time.
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Options
    Looks awesome!!! I have had my egg for over 2 years and I have never cooked a brisket. I think I ma going to try one next weekend. Congrats on your new purchase. It becomes an addiction!!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Congrats on the purchase. You will enjoy it to the fullest. It really has brought some happy family times for my family. Grilling and family goes hand in hand in my house.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome my friend. Great job of the brisket. Apparently you've cooked brisket before.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks perfect. What was your method and your thoughts?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • jetmech
    Options
    Thanks all and this was my first brisket. I think I went a little long on the cook, 16 hours. I had a dome temp of 230 through the night and this morning after the sun cleared the houses and started beating down on the egg the temp climbed a little to about 250-260. I was bound and determined to be patient and it paid off. Wife and kids loved it and we're planning on having some friends over next weekend for another. Stoker should be here too. Going to sneak some baby backs in before the gathering and probably a couple rib eye's. I've been like a kid on Christmas all week.
  • FF/Medic Egghead
    Options
    3 years and still cook on my large about 3 times a week. Love it!!!!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    You are in for a life changing eggsperience!!! Brisket looks great.
  • jetmech
    Options
    Thank you! I was really surprised at how well and how easily the temp was to control and stabilize. I am getting Rock Barbque Stoker (it should be here tuesday) but I used this post to get a ballpark of where I needed to be:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=746823&catid=1

It got me real close and I wanted low and slow. I was able to get the dome stabilized about 230 and put the brisket on at 12:15am. It was good until about 10:30 am when the sun poked up over the surrounding houses and beat down directly on the egg, the temp climbed up a little and it took me a little bit to get it back down. I think I should have pulled it an hour or an hour and a half sooner than I did. My wife and kids loved it (I'm lucky in my job I travel alot and have brought home some good BBQ) and they said mine ranked up there. I know they weren;t going to tell me it was crap but judging by how much my daughter ate, I would say she was pretty truthful. As for lump it was a mix of BGE and Royal Oak Steakhouse Blend (green bag) and some hickory chunks. I placed large chunks on the bottom and arranged them like a puzzle, then filled to the top of the bowl with the hickory randomly placed. I also think I am going to try and soak the chunks next time just to see how that does. I did a lot of reading on various techniques from posts here, and others sites that have recipes geared towards ceramic cookers, and just went with what seemed to work for most and that was low temp and long.

I really appreciate all the compliments, wish the pic was a scratch and sniff/taste so I could share!
  • jetmech
    Options
    LOL thank you! I took the whole family with me to Indy Eggfest and they all got really excited about bringing home our new green buddy
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    Congrats and a great first cook, you will be addicted shortly.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you report back on the Stoker. I got the Digi-Q and love it (works as advertised and nicely built), but I'm seriously considering selling it to a friend and getting the Stoker because of the wireless capabilities.
  • jetmech
    Options
    Thanks! I think I already am!
  • jetmech
    Options
    Will do, that was my main reasoning for going with the Stoker, wireless and the twitter is another fancy gizmo I can dazzle friends with LOL
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    rock on jetmech. nice looking brisket
    context is important :)