Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I do Turkey Legs

Options
Mark from Utah
Mark from Utah Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I am doing a pork butt, starting tonight and ending tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow sometime I would like to cook four turkey legs while by butt is cooking. [p]I would like to try a brine and also need times and temps for the turkey legs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[p]If it is not possible to do the turkey legs and butt at the same time I could use my small egg for the turkey. [p]Thanks, Mark from Utah

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Mark from Utah,
    I'm not the expert on the Turkey legs.... but there should be no reason why you couldn't throw them on the last couple of hours of your lo and slo.... your biggest problem is smoke. You really can't add smoke at the end of your butt cook, this causes bitterness with the pork. So, if you are looking for a smokey taste, you will probably have to do them after the butts, or use the other egg.[p]The brining is highly recommended, no matter how you plan on cooking any poultry. Longer is better.[p]Mike in MN[p]

[ul][li]Brining 101[/ul]
  • Mark from Utah
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Thanks, I didn't even consider the smoke - which is why I wanted to use the BGE for the turkey legs in the first place. I just may use the small after all. Mark from Utah