Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any ideas for mixing corn starch with Bad Byron's?

ledmond
ledmond Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you mix corn starch and your rub and apply in one application? Don't have a sifter and I wondered if anyone has had luck with this. If so, what ratio would you use for this? Have about 20 chicken quarters to try and I blew it the first time I tried corn starch without a sifter. Thanks for the replies.

Comments

• PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    I've been meaning to try a touch of cornstarch in my rubs for chicken. I was going to use a small amount of cornstarch - like maybe a tablespoon to a cup of rub - and try to use a mini-food processor to blend the C.S. into the rub. I hadn't thought about using a sifter - is that to incorporate the CS or just to spread it and the rub evenly over the meat?

Pat
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Add the rub and corn starch to a gallon size zip bag. Shake to combine.

Add chicken parts one or two at a time, shake to coat, remove, repeat.

Home-style shake and bake
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    What Fidel said...don't need too much CS either.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Tried 10 quarters with and 10 without on two back to back cooks. Mixed 7:3 tablespoons Bad Byron's to corn starch. Cooked 400 dome, raised grid, direct, flipped skin down for about last five-ten minutes, hit 200 degrees in less than an hour. A little overcooked, I'll try 375 dome next outing. No great difference in starch vs. un-starched although I went a 1.5 days uncovered in refridgerator laying in a broiler pan so juices flowed out rather than sitting in the juice on tray.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    ledmond,

You will get better results putting the rub on first and letting the pieces sit until the moisture seeps through. You don't need a sifter, use a couple of strainers and just gently tap the strainers as you pass over the chicken. If any clumps of starch show through after the rest of the chicken starts to colour just spray or brush (the spots only) with a little olive oil.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON