Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Newbie's First Smoke

Grub BloggerGrub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After following the sage advise from the Forum, I stirred up my remaining charcoal and made sure the air vents were clear to prevent flare up. Ended up blowing way past the 220 I was looking for, and had to basically shut down for a while to get back down there.

After waiting awhile, I got impatient and afraid I would kill the fire completely, so I opened her up and put in the plate setter and the grate. By the time I was set, I was down around the desired temp, so I put about 3 pounds of spare ribs on and closed her up. I read a bunch about severing off the brisket and riblets, but I have never had problems on the Weber, so I let them fly as the butcher gave them to me.

About an hour into cooking, I remembered that I had some boudain from Beaumont that I picked up on the way back to Dallas from Houston. I threw them on quickly, just right out the package. About 3 hours later, they came off. Really amazing flavor from the hickory, moist on the inside with a real snap to the exterior.

photo.jpg
(Pictures from iPhone - I left my camera in Houston - HA!)

After five hours or so averaging 225, but hovering as far north as 245 and South as 200 (from dealing with the sausage and checking after 4 hours), I ended up with the moistest ribs I have ever cooked. The Egg is a game changer. Forgot to mention that after I took them off the heat, I wrapped in aluminum foil and threw in a cooler for an hour. Ate with steamed asparsgii and fresh tomatoes with olive oil, balsamic and basil from the patio.

photo%20%281%29.jpg

photo%20%282%29.jpg

photo%20%283%29.jpg

Comments