Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low & Slow Chicken Observations

Options
civil eggineer
civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cook a chicken low & slow on the egg today after watching numerous DD&D episodes. Brined, spatchcocked, indirect at 250 dome for 4 hrs until thigh hit 180.

While it would be more then acceptable at any restaurant, I could tell the meat was a little drier then my normal 400 dome cooks that take slightly more then one hour. The old addage of low & slow for fatty meats and high temp for low fat meats ring true in my mind.

Like I said, not rocket science and don't mean to be stating the obvious but perhaps some newbies can gather some "tools" for their future cooks.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    A while back I picked up a stewing chicken by mistake. Having never cooked one, did a little reading up on them... found they were tougher but more flavorful than a roaster... Cooked it just like you did yours.. one of the best I've ever had... the next week tried same cook with a roaster chicken -- dry and tasteless....

Life is so about learning new things... The Egg has been a continual lesson -
    Kent Madison MS
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    We have experienced the same. One of the reasons you always see me say 400-450* indirect. Seals the skin, moist meat, and most times, pretty crispy skin!! Thanks for taking the time for the comparison. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Well Kent that is interesting. You said you took a roaster chick and spatchcock it and brine it and low and slow to 180 in the thigh and it came out great. Wow

I might try that. Thanks :) Tim
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Dang it... need to read closer :( ... I missed the "brine it" part...
    I'm too lazy to brine :whistle: .. it was indirect with rub under skin and indirect... took it to 185 deep in the thigh... very flavorful and the meat had a thicker texture - not tough - just thicker...
    Kent Madison MS
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    k thanks

I was wondering about the texture of the meat. Tim :)