Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else having issues with new mini band?

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been cooking with it for a while and love it but the new band is giving many problems when opening and closing.When you open it seems like it has a tension,and then whe you close it the dome has like a 1/4 inch gap thtat i just can not get to go away.If i play around with it it kinda takes its place but the dome gets all miss alligned and just does not last.

Thinking i would remove the side arm thing that holds the dome so it does not flop back and replacing with a wire like Carolina Q did......but before doing so i would like to get it fixed if there is a solution??

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I had the same problem. I made sure I had a fresh nomex on top and bottom to help close the gap a little, and then tried to get the bands pushed up as close the the lip of the bottom and top as possible (if that makes sense). This works for now, I had always thought it was just my egg. I bought a old mini that had never been used, but had sat in the elements for about 5-6 years. I bought the new band because the old one was rusty and when open was barely open. This new band seems to demand a gap, so some tweeking of the dome and base placement seems to helped for me. Charcoal snuffs out pretty good now when shut down. So I think its ok for now, until the gasket wears down and the gap shows up again.
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Where you been hiding Mike? I haven't had any problems with my band I think Fidel must have fixed all the issues before it headed south ;) but would still like to find the narrower rutland to use. CarolinaQ has been looking but no luck so far
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    Been busy at the new job. Does RRP have the ruthlands for the mini?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    The ones on the other eggs are too wide for the mini. Haven't asked Ron but CarolinaQ has been looking in his area.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't hold your breath. I ran out of places to look! I'm not even sure what would be the best size. Rutland makes it in 3/8 and 1/2" widths. The Mini rim is a bit over 1/2" so I guess either would work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Boy, did I have problems. No gapping problems, but a serious alignment problem...despite adjusting everything possible, my dome would end up too far forward after repeated opening/closings. I paid for the upgraded hinge, shipped direct from BGE, so they sent me an upgrade after I provided photo documentation of the problem. The second hinge worked just fine, and I never did figure out why the first one wouldn't align properly.