Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping LFGEnergy - Blackened Seasoning

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I too, really like blackened "things" on the Egg. (intentionally blackened that is). A couple years ago YB posted a recipe on here for me for his seasoning. This was for doing catfish, but it is good on everything. It is awesome, I haven't used anything else since. I"m sure he won't mind my reposting it:

Blackened Catfish (Cajun style)

Cook outdoors: 1/2 lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted.

SEASONING MIX:

3/4 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. red pepper (cayenne)

Preheat cast iron skillet on outdoor-cooker at least 10 minutes, until a white ash forms in skillet bottom. Thoroughly combine seasoning mix in a small bowl. Dip fillets in melted butter so that both sides are well coated. Then sprinkle seasoning mix generously and evenly on both sides of fillets, putting it in by hand.
Place in hot skillet and add 1 tablespoon of butter over the top of fillets. (Caution - butter will flame.) Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until charred. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

Comments

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Dave,

Thanks for the Post! I was going to try making it myself, but by the time I grabbed the spices I dont have, the $12 for 24 ounces works pretty well for me.

Am REALLY addicted to this blackening fish thing! May try a little grouper for lunch.

Dave
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Great! We will nominate you to do some blackened fish at the next Coop Fest (whenever that is).

And you get bragging rights to say you cooked in the Coop.

Spring "Indecisions Indecisions, When Will It Ever End" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    ohhhhh very nice thank you. :) Tim
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Man, thats some pretty big boots to fill :unsure: :unsure: :whistle: considering Frank From Houma shot his YouTube blackened fish video from the coop!!!! But hey, have griddle will travel!!!!! Should I bring ice!>!>!>!???

Have a great weekend.

Dave in Keller, Texas