Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow Marathon

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Well, the weekend is finished and the egg was burning from Friday evening to Sunday evening. Had a couple of parties this weekend and wanted to do something for each of them, so I did. On Friday evening I put on a Pork Butt (this was for me), cooked it over night, it came out of the egg just perfect about 10 Saturday morning, egg temp pegged at 225. When I took it out, I reloaded with lump up to the middle of the fire ring and threw on some more cherry chunks to ready for the salmon and lake trout fillets. They were smoked from about 10:45am until about 4:45pm on Saturday, temp pegged again at about 180-200 tops with tons of smoke. We had the party to go to about 5 on Saturday, and the fish was still warm when we got there, delicious. We were a bit late for the party as I put on a brisket to get going overnight for the party on Sunday afternoon. It was a 8 pounder, took about 15 hours to cook. I reloaded Sunday morning with a fresh load of lump, temp was about 158 on the brisket, egg was at about 240. It came off the egg about 12pm on Sunday. When it came off I had a load of jerkey ready to go, no need for more lump, just more cherry chunks, it went on about 12:15pm and came off the egg at about 5:45, done just the way I like it. It was time to go to the Sunday afternoon (early evening) party and we brought the brisket and the jerkey with us, both were big hits.[p]So, after a FULL weekend of cooking, all I have to show for it is a pork butt, and a few happy friends I guess, what a weekend. The egg gets a rest for a couple of days now, I and it need a break.[p]Troy

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    sprinter,
    Certainly sounds like a marathon. Humpty was lovin every minute of it too! Not often he gets fed that many nice cherry chunks.[p]Congrats on the cooking successes. Let's see, butt, brisket, fish, and jerky in a weekend. Nice work.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]It was a blast and the timing worked out great for each piece. That Cherry wood is a keeper for me too, I love the flavor it gives to meat. The brisket actually came off at 11am Sunday, it took 18 hours, fat fingers this am hit the wrong number. I wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler and it was still in great shape for the party that evening.[p]By the way, that High Mountain Jerkey cure/marinade stuff wasn't bad. I still like the River City Jerkey better but this wasn't bad for 3 bucks at Wal Mart. I used Beef Shoulder Roast, it took awhile to cook it dry as its a pretty fatty piece of meat. But the texture and flavor was pretty good. Gfw said something about trying a brisket for jerkey, don't know if he has tried it or is planning on it. Brisket's on sale at Wally World now for 78 cents a pound, may have to try one to use up the rest of the High Mountain Seasoning.[p]Troy