Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Newbie with Heat Management Issues

Grub BloggerGrub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got my Egg after years of wanting one, but never having a back yard. Following advise from the dealer, I have been grilling on higher heats to sort of season the ceramic and allow for expansion and contraction in the joints before I tackle some spare ribs this weekend.

Made simple chicken fajitas and grilled some up some pre-smoked sausages (from Woody's in Centerville, TX - which rocks). Had no problem getting up to 550 degrees quickly, and easily brought it back down with the vents.

Last night, I made cedar-plank fish. I couldn't get the Egg up past 200 degrees, even though I did the same thing as previously. I think that although I left the charcoal in a dry place with the bag closed well, the wood still picked up moisture, because, although covered, the bag was outside during some rain.

I threw in another lighter brick (BGE brand), and the temperature quickly came up to 500 degree, which I tamped back down to 450. Problem is that even thought I burped the Egg, I got massive flair up after about 7 minutes. Singed hair off my arm; singed the fabric on the seal. Durn near scared me to death, actually. There was a lot of juice dripping from some super-fresh, large patty pan squash I had in there, and the plank actually caught on fire (I soaked it for one-hour, brushed a touch of olive oil on top and on fish - per BGE cook book).

The food turned out fine, although with a slight ashy flavor, which I guess is from the blow back up the dome when I had the flare up.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong; how I can prevent this, etc. would be much appreciated.

My thoughts are to use up the rest of the charcoal I have on low and slow cooking, and then be sure to keep my lump really dry by storing in my climate-controlled home. Also, I will need to make sure the air holes are not blocked. Doesn't seem to be an ash problem, because I took out the small amount of ash that was in the bottom of the unit before using it for the fish.

Comments