Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Fundraiser

GrillMeister
GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
4butts.jpg
<p />We participated in fundraiser for Hippie Chick's Austin Rowing Club this weekend. They normally have a concession stand with chips and cold cut sandwiches, so I had the bright idea of serving pulled pork sammiches.[p]I smoked 4 boston butts for 20 hours starting at 1 PM Friday so they were ready to go Saturday morning. I wrapped the butts in foil and towels and put them a preheated cooler. We took the small BGE with us and I placed the BGE deep dish pizza pan in it for some ceramic mass and kept the pulled pork warm in a 10 inch cake pan. They fit perfectly. Each time, I shredded a pork butt, the whole thing fit in the cake pan.[p]We provided store bought BBQ sauce plus a bottle of my vinegar based sauce.[p]After the first few sammiches, we had a steady line of people till I had shredded all 4 butts for a total of 98 sammiches.[p]The sammiches were a big hit. It was a bit of work but it went to a good cause and we did enjoy seeing folks line up for some BGE grub. Having the small there also generated interest in the egg and Texas Eggfest.[p]I highly reccommend pulled pork sammiches for any fundraiser/charity.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
Austin, Texas

Comments

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    GrillMeister,[p]Glad to hear that the fundraiser went well. Do you remember how much all those butts weighed together? My wife has a fundraiser coming up soon and I'd like to have an idea how much meat makes 98 sandwiches. Mac
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Dude,[p]That's a great thing you've done!
    <font color=green>Good Food+Good Cause=Good Time!</font>

• GrillMeister
    Mac in NC ,[p]It was 28 lbs. all together and they were bone-in Boston Butts. The first 48 buns were larger than the others, plus I was generous on a few too, so we could have stretched it to about 110 if we used the smaller buns on all the sammiches.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister
    Smokey,[p]Yep, ya got that right![p]Hey, I got your canopy home safe and sound. I checked it as baggage without a problem. We'll have it up at the Texas Eggfest with reserved seats for you and the better half.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    GrillMeister,[p]Please do me a favor. Scan the instructions and send it to me! I mane another just like it and only one set of assembly instructions (I gave to you)!![p]BTW, what are the dates. I need to work on the better hafe a little!![p]Smokey
  • GrillMeister,
    Great job for a good cause! Very curious if you cooked all butts in one large or multiple Eggs? Thanks, one of your ABT fans in Atlanta, Gregg

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    GrillMeister,[p]Wish I would have known. I took some private lessons there back in the day when I officed in San Jacinto Center. A lot of fun, and something very therapeutic about rowing away from the office. Sadly, with two kids under 5, rowing was another victim of "not enough time" syndrome.