Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey competition

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Again it's time for our local outdoor turkey cooking competition. This year there is an added "open" category. Does anyone have an unusual or really good recipe using turkey?[p]Thanks in advance! Julie

Comments

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I don't know if I would call it unusual, but I did 2 of Alton Brown's trukeys last year for T-day. All 35 people in attendence told me that it was the best turkey they had ever had.
    Check FoodTV.com for the recipe, but it was a 24 hr brine in salt and sugar, followed by a rinse, and another 24 in the fridge.
    Apples, onions, and rosemary nuked and then in the cavity. Outside rubbed with olive oil, and some cracked pepper.
    Applewood for smoke, I used mesiquite lump IIRC.
    Cook to 160 in the breast.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Thanks, basselope, I know how I'm going to do the whole bird - it's the other turkey preparation utilizing parts that I'm not sure about.... JCA

• J Appledog, this is my favorite turkey recipe, in fact I personally wouldn't do one any other way because even if you have folks that don't like spicy there is nothing about the meat itself that is hot or too spicy at all - those folks would just need to stay away from the gravy. Some people brine 1st , if you do this recipe "don't brine" it will ruin the gravy you make out of the drippings.

[ul][li]turkey recipe[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    J Appledog, I think the BBQ Turkey Necks that Bill Kelsey does every year are about as unusual as you can get.

[ul][li]Lil Brother Smoking Turkey Necks[/ul]
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    J Appledog,i have a recipe for "Honey baked turkey"[p]see recipes

[ul][li]honey baked Turkey[/ul]