Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping Frank from Houma - Blackening Question

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Frank,

Saw your YouTube video in preparation for my first blackening experience this evening (grouper and tilapia). Question - are you pouring butter or oil around the fish as you cook it? Also, for the filets you cooked, about how much time per side were you cooking? Fish looked awesome!!!!!

Thanks again for video. Your place looks like a fun place to hang out!!!!

Dave in Keller, Texas

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    That place was the Chicken Coop within the confines of the infamous Chicken Ranch. The proprietors, Spring Chicken and Spring Hen, will appreciate your kind compliments. :) There are three places that are must visits in Texas - the Alamo, The Chicken Ranch, and I can't remember the other one. :unsure:

I did pour a little butter in the pan on the first cook but it's not necessary. I just poured it in because we decided to do the second batch with olive oil.

The dome was somewhere between 400-500. Takes about 2 minutes per side at that temp.

You will really like it.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Thank you sir! The adventure begins!!!

Dave
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    The video was made by my neighbor and now an Egghead too, Lucky Mon. I just edited the video a bit and it became my first movie. Frank brought the fish and did most of the work.

The Coop is a special place for Spring Hen and the rest of her staff, including me. I just built the place.

Here's what it looked like before I painted it natural.

MVC-008S-1-1.jpg

Next time we have a Coop Party like the one in '08 you'll have to plan a trip down to join the fun. Here's the link to see what went on.

http://chickencoopparty.blogspot.com/

Or you can just come on by pretty much anytime. The 'Grils' love visitors, especially Texans.

Spring "Al La Natural Is A Good Thing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Spring Chicken,

Thank you for the kind response. Visited your blog and looked at the pictures!!! WOW!!!! I know why you can only do that once every few years - looked like a throwdown!!!! Great pictures - I would still be tired!!

We look forward to (eventually) meeting you guys, and thanks again for your kind response!

Dave in Keller, Texas