Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking and grilling

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to know the proper steps to grill chicken and steak when adding wood chips. I have tried to do this and i always seem to get a very very smoke flavor. I also would like to know haw to smoke beef ribs

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Scot Buonavita,[p]Adding wood chips when grilling is tough because you are into temps where wood won't smoke but rather burns. To get it to smoke, you must starve it for oxygen. Temps above 350 won't allow miuch if any smoke to be created with chips or chunks - it just burns. There is a trick to get a smoke flavor but you saying you have too much - so just cut back totally on wood and see if you like that taste. The add a little and work up to what you like.[p]I let steaks "dwell-in-the-shell" to get a smoke flavor. Sear both sides for 3-4 min and close up the Egg totally. Wait a minute and add wet chips. Wet is good since your not going to use the fire again anyway. Let it dwell in there for 4-6 min then check for doneness. **Caution when opening the Egg with smoking woods inside and its closed up** always open the vent and the top first. [p]I don't add any wood to chicken.
    Tim