Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Slow Turkey

Options
field hand
field hand Posts: 420
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We've had good luck with low slow chicken cook at 250* raised direct (10 inches above coals). Seems to have the smoky flavor from the old days of vertical smokers. Family wants me to try a turkey the same way. Since I haven't done a turkey this way on the egg, figured some one on the forum had. Appreciate hearing about your results. We've done several turkeys indirect at 350*, but they didn't have the smoky taste/texture as the old smoker way. I've searched the forum archives, found some info, not too many recommended this approach. Thanks in advance for replys.

Barry
Marthasville, MO

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I have done low and slow with turkey breast. I love to do them and let them get the smokey flavor. I'm sure you could do the same thing with the whole bird.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Barry,
    I think Mainegg has done a spatchcock Turky with good results.
    Don't see why it won't be great.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have spatched a few turkeys. We don't care for a whole lot of smoke on our turkey so I simply put a half dozen pieces of sugar cane on the lump - light smoke. BTW - a tray with mixed veggies under the bird is nice.
    IMG_0190800x600.jpg

These days I cut up the bird and pull the parts as they are done - still with sugar cane for smoke
    IMG_2630800x600.jpg

If you like more smoke, I would suggest taking the bird straight from the fridge to the egg and use a little more smokin wood.

Good luck with it.
  • field hand
    Options
    Thanks, going to give it a try tomorrow with a small 6 lb breast.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • field hand
    Options
    Thanks for the pic's. I saw some of them when I did the forum search, great looking bird, thanks again for taking the time to re post them. Will be trying the elevated/direct/250* approach tomorrow as a test run. Having people over next weekend and have been requested to have a "smoked" turkey, a la, the old vertical smoker. My attempts with the indirect/325* method haven't been "smoky" enough for the group. Will see how it goes.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO