Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rust Starting on Hardware

Toronto JamesToronto James Posts: 26
edited 12:54PM in EggHead Forum
This weekend I noticed the start of rust on the hardware on my large BGE after 18 months of use. Places like the nuts / bolts holding the hinge and the strapping around the whole thing.[p]Of course my daisy wheel is weathered and messed up but I counted on that and the hardware holding my shelves quickly rusted away -- it is the rusting "stainless" bits that give me pause.[p]I use my egg all the time and leave it out uncovered summer and winter. Now heading into winter number 2 I wonder if I should do something to clean / prevent the rust.[p]Any thoughts?

Comments

• Mark BackerMark Backer Posts: 1,018
    toronto james,[p]I don't know about getting rid of the rust, but I'd buy or make a cover.
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,967
    toronto james,[p]My Egtg is 5+ years and Sitting in a BGE table. Bought a cover when I bought the whole rig. The upshot of this is the bottom vent on mine is just now beginning to rust. Not badly but after 5 years what can you expect. As for the remainder of the hardware I give everything a shot of WD40 spring and fall. Mr. Egg has held up very well. Suggetion: go buy a cover.
  • badbrucebadbruce Posts: 353
    toronto james,
    There are rust inhibitors on the market, 'OSPHO" by Jasco is the one I use frequently. Go to a good paint store(not the depot or any wharehouse store) & talk to the sales rep,
    they can & will make a specific reccommendation.
    I agree with Sundown & Mark Backer, time to get a cover.
    bruce

• TRexTRex Posts: 2,714
    toronto james,[p]Sand the rust off and spray the affected areas with black Rustoleum. I've done this on rusty spots and it worked great. After the Rustoleum dries, spray some WD40 at the joints/springs. Lubricate the joints/springs again once a month or so with the WD40 and you should be fine. Touch up any new rust spots the same way as above.[p]TRex
  • SigmoreSigmore Posts: 621
    toronto james, I have used WD-40 also, but I have found that lithium grease in the spray can lasts a lot longer. It's what's used on car doors and things that are exposed to the weather.

• sigmore,great idea, thanks for the suggestion !!