Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza VS Gasket

Options
tcracing
tcracing Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why does it seem lately that most of the gaskets are getting fried when a Pizza is involved? I really want to get a pizza stone and try a pizza on the Egg, but I'm afraid for my gaskets sake. I keep reading that you really don't need a gasket, then why does BGE keep putting them on? :unsure:
George Foreman? Who? 
Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
Large, Minimax-soon

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Tim
    I think the gasket can take most cooks - it's the flash and "over-run" temps that cause the problems...
    As for pizza - if you put the plate setter in with the legs down, pizza stone on top, and look across the gasket surface - it is almost the same height as the bottom of pizza stone...
    I think the heat from the lump is being turned out directly on the gasket when the top is opened - exposing the gasket to over 600 degree heat....
    Just my 2 cents worth
    Kent Madison MS
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I routinely cook Za @ 700dome and still have the original gasket after almost 3 years.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I cook my pizzas at 400 dome and they come out fantastic. It can take 1/2 hour but while the first one is being devoured, a second one is being created. I have tried the high temp method but just don't see any advantage and often end up burning my crust.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Could you solve this by putting something under the pizza stone to raise it up?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    you can put the plate setter in with legs up, regular grate on top of legs, and then put the stone on the grate... now heat is turned lower in the fire box ...
    I did for 2-3 years - till my gasket became non-existent.... now I don't care...
    Kent Madison MS
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I fried my gaskets cooking pizzas at around 670-700. As mentioned, the platesetter legs up, grate, egg feet and pizza stone shoots the heat right at the gaskets. My egg cooks the same as it did when the gaskets were there.

As far as temp goes, it really depends on what style you like. My girlfriend and I spent 2 weeks in Florence Italy and got addicted to the thin, crispy pizzas over there. The only way you can make those is at a high temp.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Most of the time the egg is not assembled correctly by the user or dealer. Crucial is the dollar bill test to make sure you have an absolute tight seal all the way around all the time. This must be checked once in a while too. If no air can get through, no heat to harm the gasket. I do pizza's at 450-500 and perfect every time. Large egg is 5 years old and still on the original gasket and tight seal. It may be black and flat, but its' there. :whistle:
  • bigmike55
    Options
    I have yet to venture into making pizza on my egg, but I have done several steaks at about 650. What do you do if there are some spots in your gasket that do not pass the dollar bill test?

Thanks.

Mike