Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ 25

Options
Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks all for the advice on which Adam Perry Lang book to get. I ordered BBQ 25: The World’s Most Flavorful Recipes-Now Made Fool-Proof and have had a chance to make a couple of recipes from it.

Here's Lang's first recipe in the book for marbled steaks under an inch thick:
BBQ 25 Steaks

steaks_P1020480080910.jpg

The book is very direct and the recipes are pretty straightforward. The t-bones were wonderful. I've for his Serious BBQ book on my list for X-mas.

Thanks again for the advice,

Dave
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I just got that one about a week ago but haven't made anything from it yet. It's definitely a different format. I'm looking forward to trying some of his techniques out.

My first impression is this would be a GREAT book for someone just starting live fire cooking because of how he teaches the techniques more than just giving recipes.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Davekatz
    Options
    Good point - the first 2 or 3 pages are nothing but techniques. And the nice thing is that a lot of them can be applied to just about any recipe.

Anybody know why APL says no olive oil for "glistening" the meat prior to putting it on the grill? He specifically calls for canola. It's got a higher smoke point, but I wouldn't think it's enough to make a difference. He also bastes with olive oil and butter. Ideas?
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Dave, you T-Bone photos even looks like an Adam Perry Lang shot! I have his Serious BBQ book and like it....now I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing!
  • Davekatz
    Options
    Sure thing. Thanks for the compliment! APL has his own photographer and food stylist, so I feel pretty good considering it's usually just me with a pair of tongs in one hand and a camera in the other. ;)
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I was wondering if this would be a good starter cookbook and now you've got me convinced.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Dave, you T-Bone photos even looks like an Adam Perry Lang shot! I have his Serious BBQ book and like it....now I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing!
    Charred and Scruffed is also very good.  I like that and Serious BBQ better than 25.
    NOLA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I looked into both of those...and I'm definitely interested in both. I decided to go with "25" as my first book because 1)I can get it on my e-reader and 2)It seems like "BBQ 101" or "BBQ for Dummies"...which is what I need to get started. The other two will come when I get some experience under my belt....:)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    25 is full of winners & is very approachable compared to the other 2, The apple pork chops are the best chops I've ever had. The bone in chicken parts is killer also.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    APL is a bit of a genius when it comes to this stuff. I've had Serious Barbecue for a while now and have cooked tons of stuff from it. It is bar-none the best cookbook I've ever used. Not one recipe has come out less than outstanding. Also just got Charred and Scruffed. Cooked a Chateaubriand recipe from it last night, which was on par with the best restaurant steaks I've had. I don't have 25, but if it's APL it's gotta be amazing.

The best part about his books is how instructive they are. You're not just learning a dish; you're learning techniques that you can apply to your own recipes in the future. The Chateaubriand, for example, used a "high and slow" technique, where you place a raised grid over a raging hot fire and cook slow and elevated until you lower the grid for the final sear. The process has you turning and basting the whole time, which tears the meat, increasing the surface area and allowing for more Maillard reaction on the exterior. It's jus an awesome technique. And it's one I'm going to use in plenty of cooks to come. His books make you a better cook. That's pretty rare and pretty awesome.
    Southern California
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Did you do it above the felt line?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    APL is a bit of a genius when it comes to this stuff. I've had Serious Barbecue for a while now and have cooked tons of stuff from it. It is bar-none the best cookbook I've ever used. Not one recipe has come out less than outstanding. Also just got Charred and Scruffed. Cooked a Chateaubriand recipe from it last night, which was on par with the best restaurant steaks I've had. I don't have 25, but if it's APL it's gotta be amazing. The best part about his books is how instructive they are. You're not just learning a dish; you're learning techniques that you can apply to your own recipes in the future. The Chateaubriand, for example, used a "high and slow" technique, where you place a raised grid over a raging hot fire and cook slow and elevated until you lower the grid for the final sear. The process has you turning and basting the whole time, which tears the meat, increasing the surface area and allowing for more Maillard reaction on the exterior. It's jus an awesome technique. And it's one I'm going to use in plenty of cooks to come. His books make you a better cook. That's pretty rare and pretty awesome.

@bicktrav,

Couldn't agree more.  The raised direct "tempering" to control momentum, flavored finishing salts (microplaning a piece of lump for example), and using a wine bottle in crack-back chicken for the rotisserie in Charred and Scruffed are brilliant.  Could go on and on.  By far, the most influential chef I have come across.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."