Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mr Toad's Pork Loin - Over plate setter indirect or not?

Options
Avalanche
Avalanche Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to cook the infamous Mr Toad's Pork Loin for the 1st time and share this with my in-laws. So, I need to do it right.[p]I know the recipe calls for doing it in the V rack over a drip pan.[p]My question is, should I cook it indirect over the plate setter too or am I simply supposed to set the drip pan and V Rack directly on the cooking grate?

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Avalanche,[p]I do mine indirect, over the platesetter.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Avalanche,[p]If you're doing it at 350ish, then indirect absolutely. [p]I have been advised that to get a nice crust on it, you need to do it direct at about 250 or so for a longer period of time, but I don't know how long that is. [p]The 350ish indirect takes about 20 or so minutes per pound (I think). [p]I am positive that i'll be corrected if I'm wrong.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Avalanche,
    Back in the days before all this high tech stuff (lol at my own BS) putting a rack in a pan was the way to do stuff indirect.

• Avalanche
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Amen. How true. That's what I was thinking of doing. Based on the photo layout of it on the BGE recipe link, the bacon appears to be more done than if I were to set up the plate setter and do it truly indirect.[p]I guess I'll call this 'most indirect' as it is only protected by the drip pan but not the plate setter. [p]Unless somebody tells me otherwise, I think I'll go with that.

• Avalanche,[p]I'm curious.. where's the recipe? I'd like to take a look.[p]Brian

• Avalanche,[p]I'm curious.. where's the recipe? I'd like to take a look.[p]Brian

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Nardi,[p]I've listed the link to the basic recipe below.[p]There can be, and have been, numerous variations on the theme. Do a search of the archives and you'll find all sorts of ideas. I don't particularly like figs, so I make my own raspberry chipotle jam/sauce. All I do is heat up raspberry jam, strain the seeds out (I don't like getting those caught in my teeth!) and add ground chipotle, to taste. A little vinegar and jalapeño in the sauce is nice too. I usually like to use dried apricots and cherries or cherry-flavored craisins. Don't skimp on the cashews! :)
    [ul][li]Mr. Toad's Pork Loin[/ul]
  • Avalanche
    Options
    Nardi,
    The easiest place is to go to the recipes section in the BGE site. Go to the pork section. This one comes complete with a few pictures too which make it really easy to understand.