Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Addition to our Nest

Options
Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just bought us a new egg for our anniversary. She bought a small to compliment our large. I have wanted a small to use on our back deck during winter so I don't have to drag the large out of the garage. We'll mainly use it for burgers and steaks, and the occasional chicken. There aren't a lot of eggcessories for the small, so I was wondering what some of the others use their small for. I'm really egg-cited to try it out! Thanks
Matt

Comments

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Way cool! A small is next on my list for sure. Once I have that one I will build my island so that the large is in the middle with the medium and small being the book ends.

Congrats!

Bruce
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Congrats on your new addition :cheer:
    We take our small when we go camping. With the plate setter and a pizza stone (there is also a CI Grill available) you can use the small to cook anything. Pulled pork, pizza, anything that you would do in your large, only on a reduced version.
    I think that I use my small more than I use the medium.
    I have a couple of 5 quart CI DOs that I use in the small for pulled pork stew, corn bread etc.
    Let your imagination run wild!!! :woohoo:
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Congrats on the new small, I think you will really like it. I kind of acquired all but the XL on this egg kick, and the small seems to get most of the use. I use it for everything that I used the Large for (havent tried ribs on the small yet). When I am planning what to cook, I am finding that I dont need to go much larger than the small when cooking for my family (me, wife, kids ages 10,4,1). My large does pizza and big low and slows, and that is pretty much it. I use it twice a month, and the small 2-3 times a week.

I use chubby's grate mates, and leave the cast iron grid in the raised position for pretty much everything. I love using the cast iron ring to cook whole chickens vertically. Its a whole chicken machine.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The Woo2 from the ceramic grill store is a handy addition for the small.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Congrat's! You have a wonderful wife. ;)

I would love to have a small egg,... I see all kinds of cookin on the small with enough food to feed 4 hungry adults.

Have fun!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Use Chubby's GrateMates (taller ones)and never take out of small. use CI grate and spatchcock lots of chicken direct.
    Have pizza stone and works well on GrateMates.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the tips. My dealer said they dont' make a plate setter for the small? Maybe he was just BSing me, because he was really trying to upsell us on a medium.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    He's wrong. I have a small platesetter.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have small plate setter also.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    All you need it the plate setter and a raised grid and that's about all. Plenty to cook on.

smallcook.jpg

boneless01.jpg

boneless02.jpg

turkey2.jpg

When you get really good, a 24 pound turkey... :whistle:

turk2.jpg