Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs and Chicken Setup on Large

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing Ribs and Chicken on Egg tomorrow (or maybe not depending on recommendations). Was hoping someone could (I know, again, but THANKS :whistle: ) post a photo of a cook with 3 or 4 babybacks and a few chickens cooking in harmony! Looking for about 5 hours on my ribs at 240-250, and figure chickens would drop on later in cook.

Alternative is do the chix tonight, refrigerate, and then throw back on the egg in last hour or so of cook. As much as chicken seems to absorb the flavor a night in the fridge, this might be fine.

BUT, every time I ask a question and listen to the answers of those that know more than me - I become a better egger - for that a HUGE Thanks! :P

Dave in Keller, TX

Comments

• AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I would do the ribs tomorrow and then do the chickens once the ribs are done. Chicken only takes about an hour so you could foil, wrap and cooler the ribs while waiting on the chicken. That is how I usually do it, although I skip the cooler part and hold them in the oven until the chicken is done, if I don't feel like using both eggs or if something else is on the other one.

Maybe time to convince the wife to get that second egg!!
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Great minds :whistle:B) !!! How did you know the last thing I said to my wife after her telling me the number of folks coming and the menu!!!

Your answer, while obvious, escaped me. Also, I am more of a direct cook chicken lover versus the slower smoke, so your answer hits dead on. However, still going to give my local dealer a call about that medium someone didnt pick up!!!

Thanks for input!
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    You'll love having two EGGs. I have two larges and like the fact that I can use all my accessories on either. Good Luck convincing the wife!! Have a great party and weekend!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I would plan for 5-1/2 - 6 hours on baby backs at 240-250 (6-1/2 to 7 on spares), and

1-1/4 hours on the chicken at 400 raised direct.

Good luck with it
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Thanks for info! This is first big cook for other than another couple, so prepping today. Also, heading over to egg store after lunch. A cook this big should qualify for a new toy! :whistle: