Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time tri-tip

Options
Rooster K
Rooster K Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a tri-tip at a local butcher shop so I picked one up. I marrinated it in some lemon juice, lime juice, EVOO,some chopped onion, and Raising the Steaks.
Grilled direct at 500 then "indirect" on top of the new potatos in the CI.

0807001922.jpg

Cooked until 130 internal. Served with fresh sweet corn and potatoes. Everything was fantastic! I have a new favorite cut of beef.

0807001942a.jpg

I sure hope that they start carying tri-tip here regularly.

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Seth it is one of my favorites also.
    019-10.jpg
    So much that I cooked 20 last weekend

GOOD EATSA ND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Rooster K
    Options
    Nice how do you prepare it? No one seems to do it the same way!
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    If you have a COSTCO near you they carry tri-tip.
  • Rooster K
    Options
    Closest COSTCO is about 2 hours away so that would be a long way to go. :laugh: I think I will suport my butcher and hope he keeps them in stock.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Tri-tip is my "go-to" dish because it is so tender and fast. I stud the roast all over with slivers of garlic, coat the outside with Dizzy Pig's Red-Eye Express and olive oil, and cook it on a raised direct grill at 350-375°. I turn it over at 10 or 15 minutes and then watch the temp closely (time depends on the size) with a Thermopen. It can be done (125-130°) in as little as 20 minutes. The garlic gets sweet and what a flavor!

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Rooster K
    Options
    Thanks. I may have to try it a few ways and see wich one I like best.
  • Tri-tip is my tied for favourite thing to cook because it's awesome and dead easy to make. My current fave (and I've made a couple marinades) is actually Morro Bay Rich's Eggs by the Bay rub recipe. I don't think he pointed it out in the recipe but Red Oak is key. Good stuff!

Here is a photos when i made it last (one was a marinade and the other MBR rub - the latter won the taste test):
    P1000092.JPG

Next time I make it I'm going to add parsley and lime zest. Should be good.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I second that--I made Morro Bay Rich's tri-tip last year and it was FAB-U-LOUS! But for fast and dirty, like only two ingredients, I go the garlic/Redeye Express route.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Just crushed garlic and red-eye? That sounds like it would work just fine. Thanks for the tip.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    your tri-tip looks most excellent. ..but one mistake i see a lot of folks make is in how they slice it ..looks like you cut short medallion like slices. . ..the grain in a tri-tip, if you look real close, runs across the short side of the piece of meat. . .i.e., if you are looking down the long end of the cut north to south, the grain is running east to west (i hope that makes sense). . ..so, when you slice it, you should be taking long slices also north to south, taking that first slice basically across that 90 degree corner if you think of it as that triangle....(again, i hope that makes sense) . ..by slicing this way, you will get the most tender slices possible. ...try it this way next time ...

IMG_0953.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    its got a shifting grain, one way at the point changing perpendicular at the thick end. maybe medallions at the point, changing into big slices at the halfway point ;)

100_1074.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fishlessman,

Recent pic? Glad to see you off the bubbly water if it is. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yep, i agree, but as you can definitely see from your good pic, most of the best slicing starts at that 90 degree corner and works down to that long flat edge. ...i find thats the best way to slice them for the most tender slices ....
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    The tri-tip looks delicious. I bet the potatoes were great with the drippings! :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    old pick :( im limited to one six a week of the good stuff, usually fryes leap ipa :) the rest of the week its twisted ice tea from a box mixed half and half with water, much better than the bubbly water :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i cut at a 45 bias to the point and lean the knife back at an angle, seems to work out well and slice fairly thin, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 thick.i agree, cutting with the grain is a no no. i dont get them often, too pricey around here
    fukahwee maine

• I think if you phrase it as starting from the corner opposite of the hypotenuse of the triangle it is more clear. The corner that is greater than 90 degrees.

That is what you meant right?
  • If you have an angle in the triangle that is greater than 90°, then you don't have a hypotenuse. Hypotenuses only apply to right triangles.

You're NOT smarter than a 5th Grader. :laugh:
  • You sir are correct - I added that as an after thought (a poor after thought as you point out).
  • Rooster K
    Options
    Clear as mud! :laugh: It makes sence. This one was kinda skinny and would have been hard to cut across the grain. Thanks for the pic that helps.
  • Rooster K
    Options
    The bacon fat I added didn't hurt either!
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    All of the Tri-Tip pics seem to look wonderful.

My problem here (in Eastern, PA), I'm having trouble finding the cut. Don't have a Costco close at all...and a local butcher told me he can't buy a small enough amount from his supplier.

Am I looking for a 'Bottom Sirlion'? I guess I've read that, but if I've seen it, it doesn't look like the photos I see on here.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    This is B-B-Q...not C-S-I..be for real