Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Kettle gets the assist

Options
3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not used my Weber in quite a while (since getting my Egg a year ago. Tonight I tried something new, using it for the sear used in the 1st stage of TRex steaks. I got it to the lava stage, did the 90 seconds per side and set them aside to rest. I had the Egg up and running at about 350 to handle them after they rested for a 10 minutes.

I'm not saying it was superior to doing it with 2 Eggs at separate temps (sear and 350), or searing on a single Egg and waiting out the temp drop, but it did quite well. Like meeting an old friend on the sidewalk and realizing how many good times you'd had together "way back".

Please nobody tell my wife though, the 2nd Egg purchase kind of hinges on the need to have a pair of them running at separate temps for just this occasion.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I hear ya.I love my egg but I also use my Kettles often. B)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    My kettles will ALWAYS hold a special place. The meals, friends and trips we shared will never outway the dried out sh*t I cooked on it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Next time, get the egg to 400°. Throw the steaks on the coals to sear. Remove steaks and put the grid on in it's normal position and wait a few minutes for it to heat up. Put the steaks on for the roast. One grill, less lump, less time, no hassle.

Or, if you happen to have a small grid, you could do this...

4712626315_f0278f8487_b.jpg

4713265284_c67908d128_b.jpg

I too have a kettle - but I haven't used it in a year!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    This is about how the Weber looked. I had that baby to full on lava mode. That said, I just purchased a 13" CI grid from Fred's Music to put on my spider next time I try this.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Very nice sear :evil:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Yup. Same idea. I don't have a spider or a grid to fit. I DO have an 8" CI grid. :) But before I found it in an antique shop, I just threw the meat directly on the coals. You have to knock the lump off when you remove the meat, but it's no biggie.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks. Doing it again as we speak. Lit the lump about 2 minutes ago. One rib-eye coming up. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I did the same thing you did tonight, just in reverse order. I had the kettle smoking a bunch of chicken breasts, and got the small up to mega temps for the sear on a tri tip. I timed it so that the sear on the egg finished about the time the breasts came off the kettle. Then I threw the tri tip on the kettle to roast up to medium rare. It worked really well.

Last summer, I had four kettles, and one egg. Now I have reversed that ratio in favor of eggs. But the last kettle I upgraded to a performer, and there is no way I would let that thing go. I simply love it.

I think many people associate 'Weber' with their gassers, and that may be where the Weber trashing comes from around here. The kettles are fine cooking machines, every egger ought to have one B). (I know, I know, here comes the bashing, I can take it! :laugh: )

Carolina Q, that is one wicked sear you have going on there, nice job!
  • That is pretty awesome.