Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about XL

Options
Frank Foote
Frank Foote Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large Egg but want to smoke 6 to 8 6-7 lb. boston butts, or two whole brisket packers at once. I also don't like my meat touching each other, I like space between each piece. Does anyone have any photos showing how many butts or briskets they have done on an XL? Thanks.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Don't remember the exact number..I wanna say around 70# and touching doesn't matter as they will shrink as they cook anyway...

Bottom layer
    buttbot.jpg

Top layer
    buttop.jpg
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Here are 4 packers:

P1000622.jpg

here are 2 of them in the felt line grid of the XL:

P1000642.jpg

the 2 others on the top grid finished earlier and was at this point already in the cooler. OK, these was a bit smaller.

Ya´ll see, enought space for 3 huge packers w/o toughing.

I love the XL. Don´t know any probs which Tweev-t is observing.
  • Frank Foote
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. You don't happen to have a picture showing them when there done, do you?
  • Frank Foote
    Options
    Thanks EggSimon, those look great. I've heard some mixed comments about the XL, but not from an owner. I like to smoke around 225 degrees. With my large, I can do this for 10-12 hours with ease and not see the temp go below 210 or above 250. Do you find the same with the XL? Thanks again.
  • WessB
    Options
    As I said...they shrink up...

butts.jpg
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Wess - great pics. I also notice that you have a pristine gasket. Well done. Think I torched the inner half inch of mine on the first trex cook.
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I only have experience with the XL, but the daisy wheel allows for tweaks of ~5 degrees. I've gone 10 hours at 230 without making any adjustments to the vents.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Frank,

I have never had any reason to put more than 3 butts on at a time but as Wess' pic shows you can easily put 7-8 butts on at one time.

Here are two butts over a brisket - the is on the old style XL with less head room than the new style.
    IMG_1054800x600.jpg

As far as holding temp of 220-250. Not a problem at all. I have strung a couple low and slow cooks together and cooked 30 hours at 240 with some lump left over. Lump was loaded almost to the top of the fire ring.

Good luck with it.
  • Frank Foote
    Options
    Thanks WessB and tnels. I appreciate your responses.
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks..my XL only gets used on the really big cooks..
  • Frank Foote
    Options
    Thanks Frank from Houma. I feel better getting advise from someone from south LA. I've had my large Egg for 5-6 years but haven't paid too much attention to the XL. I didn't know there was a new version XL. Geaux Tigers!
  • Smokin' Stogies
    Options
    I have an XL and have done lo/slo pork butts at 230 for 18 hours and temp never moved more than 5 degrees. I personally love the XL and cook on it probably 6 nights a week - ribs, chickens, butts, pizza, steaks and brownies as well. Never an issue. Getting a medium to do the side dishes and deserts next.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Smokin' Stogies wrote:
    I have an XL and have done lo/slo pork butts at 230 for 18 hours and temp never moved more than 5 degrees.

Same to me, 18 hours with lump only until top of the firebox. The XL is an eggcelent low & slow machine, definitiv. With space for 100 folks (10 butts)