Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kalua Pork & Smoked Spam!!! (pic heavy)

Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Fiance is having a big birthday on Monday, so we celebrated the last days of his sixth decade over the weekend. He lived on Oahu for a number of years, so I decided on a Hawaiian theme.

Made Kalua pork which I highly recommend, it was out of this world. Very moist, tasty and earthy. The banana leaves really added a distict flavor. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice when I thought it wouldn't cook in time. Rubbed Hawaiian sea salt into a 9 lb pork butt, wrapped it in banana leaves, put in an aluminum pan and let it smoke at 250 - 275 for 12 hours. Then bumped it up too 300 for 4 more hours. Pulled it at 197, let it rest wrapped in HDAF for about 45 minutes, shredded and mixed with the juices from the pan. Served it with Hawaiian rolls, an Asian inspired slaw and macaroni salad.

And what is a Hawaiian menu without Spam????? Scored and rubbed with Tsunami Spin on one and Dizzy Dust on the other. Put them on for about 2 hours.

Also did a pineapple upside down cake (at the Fiancee's request) and Chubby's Chick's Chocolate Chip Kahlua cake. I would say it was a success as I have no leftovers and think I sold a couple of eggs!

I tried grilling pineapple chunks wrapped in ham and sprinkled with Pineapple Head, but the ham turned to mush, so I threw it away. We had prepped them earlier in the day, don't know if that is why.

Thanks for looking.

LLLs70th001.jpg

LLLs70th003.jpg

LLLs70th004.jpg

LLLs70th005.jpg

LLLs70th006.jpg

LLLs70th007.jpg

LLLs70th008.jpg

LLLs70th009.jpg

LLLs70th010.jpg

LLLs70th011.jpg

LLLs70th012.jpg

LLLs70th013.jpg

LLLs70th015.jpg

The birthday boy and his daughter on the right. I swear people were smiling, just not when it came to getting the food!
LLLs70th014.jpg

LLLs70th017.jpg

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Morning Teresa!!

Been looking for a reason for a side trip to "The Springs" on my next visit out to Smitty's...

Your house for Dinner looks like a good destination!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Fluffyb
    Evans,

Come on down! You probably don't remember but you were one of the first people I met at my first Eggs by the Bay back in 07. You are welcome anytime. We actually are actually in "cool spell" right now, only 103 yesterday and 104 today.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Teresa splendid idea to wrap it in banana leaves can just imagine what a great taste it must be....tell me, I've seen butts with lots of black bark most of the time , this way you don't get it i suppose? does it influence the taste??
  • You caught my eye with the banana leaves, hooked me on the pineapple cake but lost me on the spam ;)

Glad to see it worked out. Looks like your 9lber followed a similar temperature profile that mine did except I had a hard deadline and one hour less. I had to wrap in foil and blast at 400 for the last hour to get it up to 200F. Still, turned out great. Aren't butts fun? :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Teresa, the Kalua Pork and the two cakes look yummy. :)

Glad to see you didn't forget the Spam for an authentic Hawaiian celebration. At least you spared your guests the poi, lol.
  • Fluffyb
    Beli,

The banana leaves added such an earthy flavor. I bought them at my favorite Hispanic market, Cardenas. It has amamzing produce & meat deparatments. I get inspired every time I go in there.
  • Fluffyb
    Couldn't stomach the poi, but smoked Spam could, maybe, just top smoked Loney.
  • Fluffyb
    I didn't get much bark, only on the pieces where the banana leaves shrunk up. But it was delicous. Had some guests here for the first time and they kept trying to "figure my secret". i told them it was no secret, just the egg.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great birthday spread Teresa!! Everything looks outstanding!! Nice job!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    You know what...I do remember you!!

Lots of things are failing me...so far, my memory's still good...(most of the time..,I think!!)lol!!

Thanks for the reply!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Well done Teresa well done.I'm doing it that way next TKS
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Nice job Teresa, thanks for posting :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Love your post. You have me craving spam musubi.

That was always our favorite post-diving snack. I lived in Oahu for almost 6 years and absolutely loved it there. I just wish I had taken the time (and been open-minded enough at the time) to appreciate the cuisine.
  • Looks like you nailed it Teresa

Ross
  • T Fluff - It all looks great. Nice BDay spread

Smoked spam is comical

Spam Crown Roast :laugh: :laugh:
    IMG_0469800x600.jpg
  • Fluffyb
    My heavens, Larry (the fiance) would LOVE that! Too funny and I bet it was yummy!
  • Fluffyb
    I hadn't had Spam for years and it was tasty. Originally I had planned on Loney but when I went Hawaiian I had to go with Spam. Larry wanted a tratidional "Hawaiian Plate", but I refused the white rice and potato salad. I have to say, I am now craving the pork it was so good. Very different from traditional pulled pork.