Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

It was a pulled pork kinda day

Grillin GuyGrillin Guy Posts: 302
edited 6:53AM in EggHead Forum
Found a 9 pound 3 ounce butt at Rouses. Put it on at 6 yesterday afternoon, 220 degrees, dome.

2f9ba723.jpg

Bumped up the temp to 260 after 14 hours.

1318d2ae.jpg

Nothing to do but sip coffee and wait for lunch.

19565c61.jpg

After 22 hours on the egg, lunch is served.

3b6613cc.jpg

a8127d4d.jpg
·

Comments

• Was it worth it? Or would you cook it from the start at 260?
    ·
  • I usually leave them at 220 for the entire cook, but my 19 year old son was wanting it for lunch real bad, so I kicked it up a notch. IMHO, it's pretty hard to screw up a pork butt. I think you could start out at 250 to 300 and still have a great product.
    ·
  • Hawg FanHawg Fan Posts: 804
    I'm thinking about buying a Stoker or DigiQ. How do you like the DigiQ?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Tulsa, OK
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 515
    That looks great! I'm not sure I can have my egg on for such a long period. Very paranoid when I go to sleep that everything must be turned off.

I like your Temperature controller, another item just added to my BGE wish list.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • I like it. I'm the least technical guy you'll ever meet so the simpler, the better for me. I set it and forget about it. Brisket and pork butts were killing me with all that getting up in the middle of the night to check my fire. Now, I sleep like a baby.
    ·
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Looks real good. I cook mine at 225 all the time. 20 hours is about the longest cook so far. I always use DP red Eye Express and a couple chunks of guava wood.
    ·
  • I agree. I think the uber low and uber slow is over-rated and completely unnecessary.
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Never mind what this country was built on...microwave your butts and leave us to our uber unneeccesary waste...you know so much more than we do..
    ·
  • bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Terry,
    Looking very good. Did you know I'm only 15 minutes away?
    ·
  • Bob, you never need an invite! Head over here any ole time you like. How did the pastrami come out. I've been waiting to see your post. Did I miss it?
    ·
  • bobbybbobbyb Posts: 1,349
    thanks Terry. I see you found the pastrami post.
    ·