Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke

Options
Lumplighter
Lumplighter Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do these cookers smoke up the neighborhood or is it just a small amount?

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Lumplighter,
    the amount of smoke depends on how much smoke wood you use.
    if using lump (recommended) very little smoke is produced.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Lumplighter,[p]It depends on how much wood you use. If you don't use any wood, this generates less smoke (I think) than an ordinary charcoal briquette barbecue -- you certainly use less fuel.[p]If you use a few small chunks of wood, there is some smoke, but not much, and most of it is in the first few minutes. After that, there is just a light blue haze coming out of the BGE.[p]If you use a lot of wood, there's a lot of smoke. But even though I love smoky food, I use just a few chunks. Otherwise, the food is too smoky.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Lumplighter,
    Go to "Eggtoberfest 2004 Pictures - Fantastic Time!!! - BBQBluesStringer" couple of posts before yours. See smoke.jpg. I think that will answer your question.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Lumplighter,
    As others have said it depends on how much smoking wood you add to the fire. Also, on a windy day, it can blow the smoke quite a ways, but probably beyond a couple of houses away, they catch whiffs of smoke, but not clouds. My neighbor gets a fair amount of smoke though if I am in heavy smoke mode and the wind is moving his way. So, if you are concerned about neighbors, probably only the nearest neighbor on either side might complain on a heavy smoke day. Once the fire is established and burning the way you want, however, the smoke will die down considerably, so it's not like you'll be producing clouds of smoke for all 20 of the hours you might smoke a butt. Just the first half hour to an hour will be intense. HTH...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    the problem isnt niehbors complaining, its that all of them down wind show up!

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    jwitheld,
    Well, yeah, but seriously, our neighbor's kid is allergic to a lot of stuff, and he could have been sensitive to the smoke. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I have sorta' overdone the smoke a couple of times on windy days...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Lumplighter,
    Are there any fireplaces in your neighborhood? My egg is far less intrusive than my fireplace. Neither is considered a "bad smell" by my neighbors. Those that get to eat think of it as anything but... or is that butt?