Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gkt ?

Options
tsbrady
tsbrady Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am replacing the burnt up felt gasket with a Nomex gasket on my medium this weekend, the BGE instructions say to wait 24 hrs before you can use it, is this really necessary? I don't think that is going to be possible to do!

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I would wait the 24 hours gives the glue time to cure. If you need your egg just use it with no gasket tell you have that 24 hour window. Good luck
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha!! People have enough trouble with gaskets when they DO follow the directions!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    not the answer I wanted to hear, perhaps I need to consider a back-up egg! :laugh:
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I would cook on it. That said, I wouldn't be too surprised of it failed again, whether during this cook or 20 from now. Me and gaskets don't get along.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    As said, just cook without the gasket until the time is right. It will cook just the same. The ONLY thing I noticed cooking without the gasket is it takes longer to snuff, thus wasting some lump.

That said a backup Egg is always good. I had my first (Large) for only six months before buying my second (Medium).

Freddie
    League City, TX