Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have corn, and an egg

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the recommended methods for cooking this stuff on a grill. I love this fresh local stuff, but I am used to boiling it.

my plan was to throw it in the small, or mini. Both have raised grids.

I want some corn before bed, help!

b93551da.jpg

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Raised direct @ 400ish on the mini for 20 or so minutes. The results were ... ok. I need some more pratice with corn on the grill. It was a little smokey, I might go with foiling next time, maybe put a pat of butter in there or something too. The remains ...

0c82d859.jpg
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Tell us more how ya cooked it.

have ya cooked it leafs on the ear ?

Some folks submerge the corn before cooking for several hours in water.

Have ya done something like this ?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I usually give it a brief hot bath in boiling water. But I wanted to egg it tonight. I removed all of the leaves, and cooked it right over the fire. The double fire ring on the mini allowed me to get it about 6"-7" above the flame, so it wasnt scorched. Since there is a fresh corn stand nearby, I am just going to have to do this every day for the next month or so until the corn runs out. I may try the soak method tomorrow. Still leave the leaves on with the soak method? I suppose that would mean still going direct?
  • EggSimon
    Options
    cookingdude555 wrote: I suppose that would mean still going direct?[/quote]

I would say yes. Both methodes works, direct high or indirect. Temp approx 350 F in the egg. But ya can also cook it @ smoke temps, 230 F. Will take approx 2 hours.

I would try different techniques. Husks on, husks off, wrapped in foil, submerged, seasoned with rub + butter... There are thousends of varianties. Find your favorit way, and tell us :)

Unfortunately I don´t have corn right in front of me, so I can´t try all methods B)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Shuck it back and remove silk, drizzle w/ EVOO and sprinkle with spice (I like Tony's). Fold shuck back and tie. Preheat Small with platesetter to 350. It will take a bit to stablize at this temp. Cook for 50 min to 1 hour rotating ends, sides and position on Egg every 15 to 20 min.
    7-22-2010047.jpg

7-22-2010048.jpg
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    nice photos - thanks for the information

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Corn w/o husk. Add butter and brownsuger. Or pineapple head rub.
    Direct at 350/400 raised. 20 to 30 min's.
    Don't worry about the small fine silk, just get the big silk off as the small will burn away.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    bacon wrapped corn is the favorite here, just grill on the egg.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • tsbrady
    tsbrady Posts: 101
    Options
    I did some this way last weekend, my 1st attempt, but I soaked it in water for about 30 min and I used butter with kosher salt & pepper and a little bit of butt rub. I got too aggressive pulling the shucks back and ripped some off so I had to use butchers twine to time'em back up before grilling as you did. Really happy with the results!
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    You don't get much flavor from the grill this way but everyone at my house loves it. Remove husk and silk from the corn. Slather it with mayo (yes, mayo) and then sprinkle with cajun seasoning (Tony's). Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and wrap in foil. 20-30 min at 400 and you're good to go...
  • Ozarkshooter
    Options
    We don't boil corn anymore - heats up the kitchen.

I pull back husk, remove silk, rub liberal amount of butter on corn, season as you like. Fold husk back over the ears and tie off with butcher's twine. Cook direct 450 to 550 alongside whatever else I am cooking (burgers, steaks, etc.) - just try to keep the corn around the edges and away from the hottest part of grill. Keep turning until the husk is charred evenly all around - about 15-20 minutes. Family loves them.

Keep trying different ways - that's the fun of it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Love egg'd corn. Anywhere from 300° - 400° direct or indirect. If it is close to the lump or higher temperature I watch to make sure it does't burn. I usually cook to a shorter time 15 to 20 minutes, husk & silk.

Left was soaked for 15 minutes. I couldn't tell much if any difference in taste, both were dang good.

corn2_400.jpg

If you are going to foil then you may as sell go back to boiling and save grid space, IMO.

Kent
  • EggSimon
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    If you are going to foil then you may as sell go back to boiling and save grid space, IMO.

Kent[/quote]

Kent, I´m sure ya´re right, but over here I can only buy husk off ears. So, what should I do ?

Is there a technique that works good w/o husks and w/o foil ?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    cookingdude: All options work. Here is another you might want to try...
    DSC00917.jpg
    Naked, grilled direct! (Just coat with a bit of olive oil, some s&p). Good stuff! :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    EggSimon wrote:
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Kent

...over here I can only buy husk off ears. So, what should I do ?

[/quote]

Shoot whoever is taking the husks off. :)

I prefer husk on. Something fun to do is make a 'cob bar'. Put out a lot of spices to put on the corn. Salt & pepper, butter, lemon pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder just a lot of seasonings. Makes for some great corn on the cob parties.

Little Chef has a roasted corn cook. I see her post below which I would guess gives details.

Kent
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Sorry I missed this thread until now. My wife's uncle used to always do sweet corn for the family gatherings. It was the best I've ever had. Nancy went home a couple weeks ago and brought home some Darke County sweet corn, so I called Tom (now retired in Arizona) and asked him to share his secrets.

First, he said soak the corn for two hours in ice water. Not more or less, two hours.

Do not, under any circumstances, peel back the husk. The silk will literally fall off once it is cooked if you'll just leave it alone.

The grid should be about a foot above the coals. He did his over an open fire with this huge grate that he built. I did mine in my large with an Adjustable Rig and it turned out great.

Turn the corn every 10 minutes or so and watch for a little browning on the husk. When the husk is dried out and parching quickly on the fire side, the corn should be ready.

I sort of like the carmelized bits that you get grilling the open ears on the fire, but haven't mastered that yet. Tom's way has turned out some of the best I've ever tasted. I may try hybridizing the methods and doing a little of both.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    The first and only time I've done corn on the EGG I've done it like this.

400 degrees, direct.
    Pulled husk back but not off, Pulled Silk off corn, then put husk back on. Soaked in water for 30 minutes ( while the EGG was coming up to temp.

Cooked for 20 minutes.

When I took them off, I just snapped the long end piece(i'm sure there is a name for it). And the husk came right off with it. It was very good.

IMG00019-20100707-1823.jpg
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the ideas everyone. I need to do my egg surfing earlier in the day so I get ideas before I attempt the cook. Going to get some more corn to try some experiments ...