Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not dryaged but a damn good ribeye & homemade....

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
garlic mashed red potatoes.

Well, For my final few days of bachlorism i wanted a nice Ribeye (so for leftovers i can make a philly cheesesteak) and homemade garlic mashed potatoes. I've never made real mashed 'taters before and i get this recipe from allrecipes.com. It's got rave reviews so i figure i'd give it a shot...

Since wifey is away i figured i'd try something different. Normally i'd sear at 650, then rest and roast at 400*. This time i took the fire ring out and put grid right on top of coals. I'm sure this is not the first time this has been done, but first for me. ... The steak turned out great, nice sear but was kind of lacking the grill marks.. Think i'll get a CI grid for better sear marks. I seared at 450 cuz i didn't wanna end up with a piece of shoeleather and didn't want to risk burning the heck out of steak. Plus i'm use to searing on the large at normal grid level, which is quite a bit higher than the coals. This was the first steak on the small...

DSCN2036.jpg
quartered red taters and like 4 cloves of garlic and some onion in pan. FIlled with water, boil and then simmer for 25mins...

DSCN2045.jpg
Once the potatoes had a good head start went ahead and seared steak. 450* for 4 mins total. Then i pulled off, rested and went back to taters...

DSCN2049.jpg
Not a good pic but you get the idea. Taters in KA mixer, some parm. cheese, butter, milk, and some other stuff... Those were about done so finished cooking the steak.

DSCN2057.jpg
And plated, with the rest of my homemade bread from the other night. That loaf definately went quicker that i thought it would. Good stuff...

The 'taters were very good. Could have used some more flavor though i thought. Maybe some more onion powder or something? they definately had a nice garlic flavor, not overpowering. The steak was just fantastic. For a simple steak, it was one of the best steak's i've had in a while. Rubbed with kosher salt and BBBR. That rub is quickly becoming my favorite rub. Can't WAIT for cheesesteak night! One thing i liked about searing close to fire didn't have to bring temps down to continue roasting.... Enjoy, thanks for looking.

Comments