Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gluten in Charcoal

Options
smoker22
smoker22 Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a friend that wont it food cooked over briquets because he has Celiac disease..sensitive to wheat gluten..he doesnt know so i asked you guys how is it possible to have a reaction unless you eat a briquet.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you should be using lump in your egg anyway unless you are smoking cheese....

but unless he eats the charcoal he should be fine..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    Having a mother in-law with Celiac I can tell you that if a crouton touches a salad plate and then removed she will have a reaction to eating that salad despite never eating the crouton. Some people are more sensitive than others. I don't know if using briquettes will hurt or not. When I cook for her I try to eliminate all chances of contamination. My suggestion, don't cook with briquettes. Use Lump.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Some briquettes use wheat paste as a binder. I suppose that gluten could get from the briquettes onto the food via the smoke. You'd think it would burn and be destroyed, but it's too close to Beer O'Clock to go check.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • maybe in briquettes, but not in lump charcoal
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Cross contamination - dust from the briquettes floats in the air and settles on the grate or the lid and later gets on the food. It's unlikely, but not impossible, and some folks have such nasty reactions to gluten that it's just not worth the risk.

I can't even toast my GF bread in the toaster at work without getting sick. :sick:
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.