Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer-brined pork chops recipe

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just received this recipe on an electronic newsletter subscription from FoodFit.com. I think it sounds very good. What's with the ice cubes, though? I'll try it soon, but think I'll skip the ice and add more beer! After all, it's refrigerated. And now that I'm thinking about it, wouldn't dark beer be better than lager in the marinade? Like Guinness or Porter. I'll report the results.[p]
[p]Beer-Brined Grilled Pork Chops
This recipe serves: 4[p]Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes [p]Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup lager beer
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 cup ice cubes
4 thick center-cut pork loin chops, about 4 to 6 ounces each
4 teaspoons minced garlic
3 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dried sage[p]Cooking Instructions
1. Combine the water, beer, salt, brown sugar and molasses in a large bowl. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Stir in the ice.[p]2. Place the pork chops in large resealable plastic bag. Pour beer brine over the pork chops and seal the bag. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.[p]3. Preheat the grill to medium-high.[p]4. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, black pepper and sage.[p]5. Remove the pork chops from the brine and rub them with the garlic mixture.[p]6. Grill the pork chops for 6 to 8 minutes per side, until they are cooked through.[p]7. Transfer the chops to a platter and let them rest for a minute or two before serving.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Flavor brining does not preserve meat. The meat and brine solution must be kept below 40°F at all times. If you using your fridge, the ice just gives it a head start getting cool. If I brine large quantities I use a cooler and pack ice above and below a layer of zippered brine bags. Remember to get all the air possible out of the bags.[p]I have a similar recipe, apple juice instead of the molasses, and onion slices added. It works good on chicken also with a brine time of 1 or 2 hours.[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Well the meat should not climb above 45° for more than 4 hours. The whole 40° thing didn't come about until about 10 years ago, and was an attempt to widen the idiot proof margin.[p]I think there might be an error in the recipe as stated. I'm thinking this is a cooked brine since it uses kosher salt and brown sugar. Those 2 will basically never dissolve at room temperature, they will mostly dissolve, but for brining you need it as dissolved as is possible. I imagine they wanted you to heat the mixture, then pour it over the ice to cool it, and then add the meat and refrigerate.[p]If you take cold pork chops, add an icy solution to it, and then refrigerate it, you're going to have partially frozen pork chops. Partially frozen will not brine properly.[p]Hope this helps.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Good point...I think you're right in that many recipes call for bringing the ingredients to a boil to dissolve the sugars and bring out the flavor of herbs, then cooling the mixture before use. (I guess I've used that 40° number for years out of habit). Is the amount of salt used to flavor brine food stiff enough to substitute for refrigeration and safe hygienic food preparation?

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery