Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

need advice bone in turkey breast

jemrxjemrx Posts: 81
edited 11:49PM in EggHead Forum
I plan on cooking a turkey breast this evening to make sandwiches for lunch. Any advice on temps direct or indirect? Planning to pull at 160.
·

Comments

• I've done indirect w/platesetter, but lately I've been doing direct on a raised grid. I put my half-moon grid atop the standard grid and shoot for 275-300. It's a great, easy cook, and turkey lends itself to a variety of flavors.
    ·
  • MattMatt Posts: 143
    I typically brine then smoke indirect at 250 or so. Never been disappointed.
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great cook indeed.

I cook chicken or turkey, parts or whole, direct raised grid, 350°-400° dome, apple or cherry wood.

I cook to 165° breast as recomended by USDA. 160°-165° will end up being a very moist finish.

09turkey2.jpg

Some time you may want to take the bird to 190° - 200°. You will a completely different flavor and texture which is fantastic for sandwiches and salads. Give it try on some chicken at some point in time.

Another idea, you may want to get a small ham and smoke it also for deli meat. This works out well direct, raised, 350° and coked to 145°-150° internal.

Turkey and ham sandwiches are fantastic.

hamdelicut.jpg

You have a great cook ahead of you, looking forward to seeing the results.

GG
    ·