Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings and Calzone SBGE

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, for bachelor night #2 i did homemade calzone and wings. The dough was Zippylips recipe, good stuff. I seperated the dough in 3 equal parts, so this was enough to do a 12" pizza. I couldn't shape the calzone like i wanted prolly cause i had too much filling but it still was just fantastic. Here's how it went down:

DSCN1979.jpg
I wanted a more rectangular platform but sort of ended up with an oval... Little bit 'O Dei Fratelli? sauce

DSCN1980.jpg
spread on cheese and some pre-cooked chopped bacon

DSCN1981.jpg
Some hot italian sausage pre cooked and cut up...

DSCN1983.jpg
Layer of pepporoni with some mo cheese...

DSCN1982.jpg
had chopped up some onions, green, orange red peppers, and garlic. Was going to put this on too but forgot all about it. extremely PO'd about that. I had a few choice words for myself once i realized my errors. I will chalk that up to Mr Morgan distracting me...

DSCN1984.jpg
I originally wanted to cut diagonals in the dough and criss-cross them on top, if that makes any sense. This thing was massive so i just folded the whole thing over...

DSCN1986.jpg
Had preheated egg for half hour at around 350. Put everything on at same time for about 30 mins then flipped wings and went another 10. Thought about brushing the top of 'zone with melted butter but it was nice and crispy to touch so i didn't mess with it. The 'zone is on a firebrick split dusted with cornmeal...

DSCN1996.jpg
Crust was absolutely perfect

DSCN2001.jpg
A little slice of heaven....

DSCN2003.jpg
Plated..

The whole meal was fantastic. The wings were perfect, slight charr on outside, very tasty. They were EVOO, Ragin River and Jamaican firewalk. IT was good eats, will be making this again for sure. Case you guys haven't noticed i love my new small!!! My large is getting jeleous.. Thanks for looking, hope u enjoy!

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Nice cook and great pics. Looks like the calzone was cooked just right! Keep On Eggin'[
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    my daughter would love that calzone, nice. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks awesome!! Did you use a mixer for the dough?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    What the hell man? You didn't invite me over? Those look good. I need to try a calzone or stromboli on the egg.
  • highpress
    Options
    Molly,
    Yes, it was zippylips dough. Followed his slideshow. I saw your thread on the no-knead pizza dough, so not sure if you have a mixer or not. If you do, try this dough. Never made any kind of dough, so i thought this was a good starter recipe. Quite pleased with it. Good luck with your dough, will be expecting to see some results tomorrow! B)

http://s330.photobucket.com/albums/l406/schwansonlip/Pizza/?action=view&current=229404c7.pbw
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I don't have a mixer. I'll cook and post later. ;)
    Got a headache? :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Dayum, I need to get a drool-guard for my key board!!
    8 - ),,,
  • highpress
    Options
    Nope, no headache. I'm a pro... FYI, i just bought my mixer off craigslist used for $50. I've used it a few times now, don't seem to have any problems. Just a thought, as i new mixers are expensive and i wasn't looking to spend $200 on a new one..
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I remembeer your killer score! I'm looking. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That is a great looking Calzone,it had to taste good!!

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    That is a work of art, lucky I already have dinner on or I'd be scrambling to copy that.

People really need to be more respectful around here, it is Captain Morgan, he earned that rank.