Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What can the Mini do?

Options
Justin
Justin Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]I am looking at the Mini Egg. The questioin is for current (or past) mini owners. What kind on things are you cooking on them? How many people can it cook for? Will it work for slow and low? Will it hold enough lump to burn for a while? For instance, can a rack of ribs be done? It doesn't look big enough for any kind of indirect setup.[p]For anyone who got rid of the Mini, why?[p]I currently have a TEC Cherokee for travel type cooking but it's very hot only, and also pretty small, so I'm gathering some more feedback so that I don't spend money I don't need to....[p]Thanks![p]Justin

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Justin, the mini has a 9 inch grill and weighs 30 lbs. The small is 13 inch and 75 lbs.You can do double grills ,one above the other on either to double your cooking space. You can do low and slow on either but you must improvise(make your own plate setter or equivalent) as BGE does not have PS available for either. I have gone 15 + hours on the small without adding coals. The mini would probably go 6 or 8 hours I guess at low temps.The mini is great for high temp cooks as the grill is close to the coals. YB has pictures of 26 wings on his mini. You did not ask about the small, but it is more versatile and is portable like the mini.The small gets a lot of use around here. HTH

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    cowboygillers.jpg
    <p />Justin,
    No ribs for me anyway. I always cook direct and can get 4 nice filets or cowboy grillers.[p]CWM

• Msmith
    Msmith Posts: 21
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    What is that on the BGE?

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    MSmith,
    Cowboy grillers. Take a chicken breast, flatten it out add your choice of goodies and wrap in bacon and cook.
    My favorite is jalapeno peppers and cheese. I'm going to try candian bacon next time I cook.
    That is a mini also.[p]CWM