Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Safe to hot tub in cryovac?

DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
edited 12:55PM in EggHead Forum
I bought 3 nice steaks from a specialty meat packer 4 days ago. They had just been vacuum packed that day. They've been refrigerated (but not frozen) since. Is it safe to hot tub them in the same packing or should I rinse them and put them in Ziploc before I hot tub them?
·

Comments

• that cryo is a whole lot tougher than a ziploc bag
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    I was worried about any bacteria that might have grown since the meat was packed.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,485
    If that has happened, toss the meat anyway. :)
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,874
    my only thought is the meat was probably sealed after a wet aging solution was inserted - you know that wet slimy crap that you have to rinse off after opening the package. If you hot tub first and then open and rinse thoroughly the meat is going to cool down. Personally I'd rinse, place in a new clean bag and then hot tub them.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Thanks, I'll rinse them and put them in fresh bags.
    The butcher said they had been aged two weeks but didn't say wet or dry.
    ·
  • those bacteria would be there when you put it in the ziploc bag anyway.

as long as the meat has been properly stored, there is no reason to worry

in fact, cryovac is a process invented to minimize any chance of bacteria growth. it's packed under vacuum in an inert environment...

alton brown lets his cryo go 8 weeks in the fridge. good temps? then no significant risk
    ·
  • Cryo is a proprietary process for vac-packing with inert gas. There is nothing injected as a brine.

Some packers inject and then vacuum pack, butthat is not the proprietary cryovac process

absolutely no issue hot tubbing in cryo
    ·
  • The couldn't have been dry aged if they were in cryo
    ·