Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

swiss chard

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend is looking for a recipe for swiss chard. I've never cooked it or even used it. It doesn't have to be grilled, it can be anything. She's a vegetarian so I think she'd appreciate something that's filling but I'll also take recipes for sides.

Thanks!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Try cooks.com. I use kale on a regular basis, but not swiss chard.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    In my Food Lover's Companion it says use the leaves like spinich and the stalks like asparagus.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Dimples Mom: Swiss Chard was one of our staples growing up, and I still love the stuff!! Easy peasy...Cut the leaves into one inch slices, the stems into smaller pieces. Finely chop a couple cloves of garlic. Preheat a skillet or sautee pan with a bit of olive oil and butter. When hot, add the garlic, and allow garlic to cook a minute or so (but don't burn the garlic). Then toss in the Chard, a pinch of salt...saute until it begins to wilt. Remove from heat, and top with some freshly grated nutmeg. (Put as much in the skillet as she can fit, it cooks down almost as drastically as spinach). She can also try a drop or two of a nice vinegar on it while she eats it. The acidity is a nice addition. :)
  • ZippyTheEgghead
    Options
    Similar to what little chef said.

I sometimes discard the stalks. If I use them, make sure you wash them really well. I sauté them first far a few minutes, then add the garlic. Before adding the leaves, you can splash in a little chicken broth or white wine into the pan, it steams it a little.

Try lemon in place of vinegar too.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Exactly!! :laugh:
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    From the CSA that we are members of- Avalon Acres.
    SWISS CHARD GRATIN
    NOTE: I've modified the preparation steps for my own "keep moving" style so they may read a little disjointed. There are four basic steps: (1) cook the stems in a floured water (2) meanwhile flash cook the greens (3) then combine and top with bread crumbs and cheese (4) and bake for 15 minutes.

Salted water (for the greens) swiss chard gratin.jpg

1 cup water (for the stems)
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 pound Swiss chard
    Zest of a 1/2 a lemon (save rest for greens)
    Juice of half a lemon
    Salt

1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon half 'n' half
    Zest of 1/2 a lemon
    Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup bread crumbs (this should be enough for 2x or 3x the recipe)
    1/2 cup grated cheese (ditto re quantity, I used Romano, Parmesan would be great)

Bring a big pot of salted water to boil (for the greens).

Place 1 cup water in a skillet, sprinkle with flour and whisk in. Wash the Swiss chard stems (set aside the greens for the moment), cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Add to skillet along with the lemon zest, lemon juice and salt to taste. Let simmer til cooked, stirring occasionally, about 20 - 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, wash the greens very well and tear into bite-size pieces. Drop into big pot of boiling water and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, until soft but still bright green (I suspect the actual time may vary widely depending on the tenderness of the greens). When done, transfer to a colander and let drain very well, squeezing to press out liquid if needed. Return greens to the hot pot. Stir in butter, lemon zest and season to taste. Stir in cooked stems. Season to taste. Transfer to greased gratin dish or individual gratin dishes. [Make ahead this far.]

Combine the bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle over top. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, longer if coming from refrigerator or even room temperature.

Walt
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Sept12.jpg

Swiss chard is one of our favorites. We simply cut into ribbons, saute with olive oil, touch of garlic, salt and pepper and eat. It just needs to lick the heat and it's done.
    We've been lucky to grow chard nearly year round and with the cold frames we plan to put in, we should have chard even in the middle of winter... great stuff!

john
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    We're growing chard for the first time, this year. It's great! As others have mentioned, simply sauteeing it with some onion, shallot or garlic is good. We've also added it to chicken soup. I sweated the stems along with the onions and carrots for the soup, and then once I had added the broth and brought it to a simmer, I added the chard leaves. Fantastic.

I hear the stems are also good in salad, sliced like celery.
  • RiverFarm
    RiverFarm Posts: 216
    Options
    We sauté it in garlic with olive oil, too, and we use both leaves and stems. We like it a bit on the crunchy side so we don't cook it for very long, and we don't add salt because we find it has enough flavor without it. Last year was the first time we raised it and we loved it. It was also the last green in our garden in the fall, and it was nice to be able to go out and pick something fresh in October and November.

Here are two other recipes:

Pasta with Kielbasa and Swiss Chard

The classic combination of sausage and greens takes on a pasta companion in this warming dish that peaks with red-pepper flakes and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Yield: Makes 6-8 servings

1.25 pound Swiss chard – nice to use some red chard in here – and kale
    1 pound kielbasa, quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    ¾ cup water
    1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
    1 pound bowties - I used and love the mini ones!!!
    ¾ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus additional for serving

Cut out center ribs and stems from chard, then thoroughly wash, along with leaves, in several changes of cold water. Cut ribs and stems crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and coarsely chop leaves.

Cook kielbasa in oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Cook chard ribs and stems with salt in fat remaining in pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add chard leaves, water, and red-pepper flakes and simmer, partially covered, until chard stems are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove lid and stir in kielbasa.

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, then reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water and drain pasta in a colander. Add pasta to chard mixture with cheese and salt to taste and toss until combined well. Thin with some of reserved pasta water if necessary (I found this necessary and even used a little more than ½ Cup).

and

Skillet Gnocchi With Chard and White Beans

Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus
    • 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 (16 ounce) package shelf-stable gnocchi
    • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
    • 4 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/2 cup water (I used chicken/vegetable broth)
    • 6 cups chopped chard leaves (about 1 small bunch) or baby spinach leaves
    • 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
    • 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (I used cannelini or white kidney beans)
    • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
    • 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    • 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
    OPTIONAL
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, dried basil or dried Italian seasoning

Directions
    1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
    2. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until gnocchi are plumped and starting to brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
    3. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
    4. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 2 to 4 minutes.
    5. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring until the leaves start to wilt, about 1-2 minutes.
    6. Stir in tomatoes, beans, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add optional seasoning if using.
    7. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
    8. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes.