Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new SuperPeel is SUPER!!!!!

Options
Marine Cook
Marine Cook Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
<p />I recieved my new SuperPeel a couple of days ago and broke it in tonight. Wow this thing works great!!!! Money well spent, if you make pizzas this is a must have. This was the third time I've cooked pizzas on my egg and they just keep getting better.[p]Tonights experiment was a minced garlic and cream cheese sauce with canadian bacon, red onion, red bell pepper, roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, cracked black pepper and basil. I used a whole package of cream cheese and it was a bit sloppy, next time I'll use about half a package. Overall great results.[p]13 days and a wake up. See you all there.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC

Comments

• Marine Cook,
    Your pizza looks great. Just curious. I have always used my plate setter with the pizza stone on top of it. It looks like you just used the pizza stone. Did the crust get done before the toppings or did the crust and toppings get cooked just right?[p]When I cook pizza's I usually cook two to three back to back and the crust gets a little more overcooked on each one. The first one is usually the best.[p]Bob[p]

• Marine Cook
    Options
    WueEyeDoo,[p]It's hard to see it but I use the plate setter just as you discribed ubder the pizza stone. I have the same trouble you do with the crust on the second and third pies. [p]The Naked Whiz suggested that I whipe the stone down with a damp towel after the first pie comes off to cool the stone down. I have not tried this yet. We kinda like the flavor of the dark crust anyway. I will have to try it soon though because we are having a birthday party for my son and I'll be cooking several pies in a row.[p]Have a great day.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC

• Marine Cook,[p]Now there you go!! That is one hell of a pizza. I use ricotta cheese a lot, but have not used cream cheese except for a breakfast pizza I make. Posted that recipe a while back - I think %-] I will have to give yours a try. [p]Glad you were apparently able to qickly master the "mysteries" of the Super Peel. It will only get better from here. Keep us posted. [p]Although, I still bake mostly in my oven, I think I set a new personal best last Thursday night. [p]Wife and I got home from a meeting at 5:35. Kids there, but no dinner had either been eaten or even planned. [p]Question was floated: "Who wants a white garlic broccoli pizza?" Du.....uh!!!!!!! [p]Iron Chef (Dad) To the rescue............here I come!!!!!!! [p]5:40 - Go!!!!!!
    Turn on oven to 500
    Yeast to proof
    Frozen shredded cheese into micro
    Frozen broccoli into water to thaw
    Mix dough knead very briefly, ball and set aside
    5 large cloves garlic smashed and chopped
    Broccoli chopped
    Pizza assembled with fresh cracked black pepper, olive oil and a few pats of butter.
    6:08 Loaded into oven, on Super Peel of course
    6:15 Done, on table and cut - Perfect!!! [p]So, 35 minutes total from thought to mouth!!
    I figure you can't even order one and get it in that time. And, for about $10.00 to $12.00 it will be skimpy on the cheese, garlic and broccoli and taste like a cardboard box, everytime, anyway. The total cost of ours was maybe $2.50 max, but basically free as we had everything on hand. So, anyone who does not make their own pizza yet needs to know this! [p]And it was a hillarious, loud, animated food flying experience with the kids - just trying to beat the clock, which by the way was, at the outset, a pensive "shoot for 6:30?????". [p]Man, is this stuff good?! [p]Gaspar [p]

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Marine Cook,
    The Whiz's damp cloth wipe-down suggestion works very well.[p]I've been using a VERY damp cloth (almost "sopping wet"), and in addition to keeping the bottom crust from burning, I think the steam that comes out of the stone helps to make the crust crisper as well.[p]Bob

• Marine Cook
    Options
    yaB,[p]Thanks for the clarification. We have been cooking pizzas every two or three days since my first try last week. The boys really like them and the variations are pretty limitless.[p]I'll be doing this on my next pizza cook this weekend.[p]Thanks and Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • Marine Cook
    Options
    Gaspar,[p]Thanks....If you just hold the stick that the cloth is clamped to at the edge of the dough and push the peel it works like a conveyor belt. It could'nt be easier, unless it was mottorized, hint, hint, hint. Some of us are just lazy as hell, ya know?[p]I have enjoyed cooking the pizzas on the egg. My boys really enjoy them and with all of the possibilities you never get tired of pizza.[p]I've used the pilsberry pizza dough so far because of time but it sounds like that's no excuse any more. What is your recipe for dough? I have the time to do it right today.[p]Thanks for the input.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • usa doug
    Options
    Gaspar,
    I just received my new Super Peel. Tomorrow we will have breakfast pizza and then pizza during the NASCAR race. I think the peel is going to be a conversation piece at the cook-offs. I will be using it at Eggtoberfest and at the Jack Daniel's Invitational.[p]Doug

• Marine Cook,[p]Well, it is "rocket science", but here goes anyway. I just toss it together:[p]Off the cuff:[p]Put dry yeast (about one t. for about 3 cup flour/about1 C. H2O = 1 pizza dough) (Get my drift, here?), ~1 T. sugar and ~ 1 t. salt into ~ 1 C ~very warm H2O. Whisk together and set aside to proof (it should start to foam in a few minutes or the yeast is old - Get fresh!)[p]After proofed, whisk in ~ 1 - 2 T oil (Extra virgin olive for me)[p]Add to ~ 3 C All purpose flour (use part whole wheat or whatever else you want). Blend together. Add a little more flour if needed. Tip: if you start by adding to about 80% of the flour, it is much easier to add more of that than it is to add more liquid, but either way.[p]Knead, slam, poke or roll the sucker around to get to a smmother consistency. Note: This is not an olympic event, here![p]If using later and you want a chewier dough, let rise in comvered, oiled bowl till 2X size (an hour or two), slam it to the mats again (punch it down, be gentle if you want, it will deflate) and then form into a flattened ball and let it rest a bit.[p]If using now, crust will be softer, like Pizza Hut or actually more like Dominoes (if you are familiar). Still very good, BTW.[p]Spread, stretch or toss (Yikes) to shape/size.[p]Make/Bake/Eat![p]For a marine cook, this whole thing will be childs play, and you will develop your own personal style and variants as you go.[p]Notes. Super Peel will easily handle a 1/8" (actually much thinnner) dough sheet if you like thin crust, and will handle wetter dough, which tends to be lighter and crispier when baked.[p]General rule of thumb is that dough should be just about stiff/wet enough that it will sit in a ball about 1/2 as high as its width without further slumping. Sorry, it is all a feel thing for me, which ties into my life as a geologist and field testing clayey soils for moisture content.[p]Now, get to work, men![p]Gary

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    Marine Cook,
    Next time I will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.