Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Brisket, feel the need to share

Options
a stick
a stick Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I brought a brisket to a family gathering on Saturday. I've had my egg for over a year and like to smoke chicken and ribs mostly (and grill everything), this is only the 2nd brisket I've smoked.[p]Thursday - purchased a 13.87 lb brisket, the smallest one at Sam's. Took it home, trimmed off 3.5 lb of fat, covered with yellow mustard and Jamiacan Firewalk Dizzy Pig rub. Wrapped in foil and in the fridge it went.[p]Friday - Fired up the egg with Ozark Oak lump (best lump I've used out of about five brands) and 3 handfuls of small,soaked hickory chunks. Went on the egg at 10 pm, temp 250. Went to bed at 11:15, egg still at 250.[p]Saturday - Slept in until 8 am. Checked the egg, it was at 260 (perhaps a hickory chunk or a large piece of lump got lit up). Put in my remote thermometer at 10:30 am, brisket temp was 170. Brought the egg up to 300 to finish it off (melt off as much fat as possible). Brisket at 11:30 was 185 when I took it off. Wrapped it in two layers of foil, two beach towels, and put to bed in an empty ice chest. Hit the road for the family gathering and the brisket stayed in the chest until 5pm. It was still hot to the touch as I sliced it. There was not a lot of juice in the foil so the meat must have kept it in. Sliced perfectly, the meat was not falling apart (I feared it might being wrapped for that long) and had a beautiful smoke ring. Everyone thought it was excellent, very juicy and tender but not falling apart or mushy. [p]Only thing to change next time - I'll use Dizzy Dust or the Rub with coffee in it. The more delicate palates thought the brisket "bark" was a bit spicy. Nature Boy, you sell some wonderful products.[p]astick[p]

Comments

• astick,[p]Interesting that the you still had moist brisket at 185. I have been taking it off at 170-175 and let it go up to 180. Also, I always liked the Dizzy Dust with poultry or fish, Cowlick goes great with beef. Lastly, you put the probes in after you woke up, I tend to put them in before I sleep so it can wake me up if the temps goes out of wack.[p]Sounds like you had a great meal with your family. I have to try the foil method as it sounds like it tenderizes and keeps the meat moist.

• trout16
    Options
    viewtopic.php?t=37
    <p />astick,
    I'm with you, did two double decker briskets on Saturday night. Started at 12:30 Am and cooked til noon the next day. The wife made some carmelized onions and mmmmmmmmmmm.