Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Help

Options
chumdog
chumdog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok guys, newbie in need of help again. I am attempting my first pulled pork cook this weekend and need some advice from you pros out there. I have read numerous recipies out there and have seen many variations, especially in cooking time. I have a 6 pound Boston Butt and a hell of a homemade rub and sauce. The variations in recipies I have seen says a cook time of anywhere between 8 hours to 16 hours. What I want to know from you guys is: how long to marinate in rub, time to cook and doneness temp ( I assume 200 degrees). I know to go low around 230 degrees as far as dome temp. Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hello & Welcome
    Dome 250, Butt 195-200 no exact time just when it is done, try to use remote thermo so you can leave BGE closed. Marinate overnight. Post pic's & Good Luck
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Marinate as long as you care to, but it's not necessary. Like G&C said, go 250 on the dome and expect about 2 hours/pound for timing.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I did my first last week. It was 7 lbs. cooked @ 250 dome & pulled @ 198. It took 12 1/2 hours & it was GREAT
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Chumdog, I am cooking 2 6-lbs Boston Butts now. Started about 12:30 pm today. Thus been cooking about 10 hours. Dome 250. Internal temp now is at 173. I have on a V-rack on top of the grill. Butts are side-by-side but not touching.

I expect another 4-6 hours cooking time.
    __________ Chris
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Just want to reiterate what has already been said: 250 dome minimum, pull 195-200. I know some will disagree, but I also like Elder Ward's technique of putting on the butt as you're bringing up the temp - more smoke that way.
  • phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    Options
    Not to highjack this thread. But I am cooking some butts for a party next weekend, but work got in the way. I was going to season them on Thursday for a friday cook. But now I am traveling early Thursday morning, what are your thoughts on if I season Wed for that same friday cook? Or should I just season before I put them in the Egg?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When you smoke your first butt prepare your egg for the long cook by cleaning out your egg from previous cooks making sure there is nothing blocking the holes in the fire box and the fire box it self is in alignment with the bottom vent. You don't have to do this but is helps until you get to know your egg better.

I would fill the fire box full of lump up into the fire ring. Then scatter some chunks of hickory or what ever you want in the lump.

Light the lump in say three places like 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock and after it gets burning good set the plate setter on the fire ring and place a drip pan on the plate setter and close the dome.

Make sure the rain cap is off and no daisy wheel and bottom vent is wide open at this time.

Now assuming you believe your dome thermometer is somewhat accurate close the screen in the bottom vent and watch the dome temp rise.

I like to make sure my egg has sufficient lump burning but not to much or I may over shoot my desired cooking temp.

While the dome temp is rising I slowly begin closing my bottom vent down. Maybe at first 3/4 opened then watch how it reacts then 1/2 closed and watch it then about a half an inch open. Now leave the bottom vent set there and place the daisy wheel on wide open.

If your temp continues to rise that's good you egg is drawing air. I would close the daisy wheel with the peddles wide open. Adjust as needed.

After several min's the white smoke will subside and turn to a blue hue. Wave your hand in the smoke and smell it. If it smells like wood burning in your back yard wait a little longer. You want the VOC's to burn off and you want your ceramic egg to heat to 250 degrees and stay there stabilized for up to an hour.

Now when you put your butt in the egg to smoke you won't have to fiddle with the vents. Put the butt in and watch it for at least another hour by then your egg should have recovered from all that cold meat going in there.

I usually rinse my butt off with cold running water and pat it dry. I then sprinkle EVOO on it and sprinkle rub all over it being sure to get the rub in all the nooks and crannies. Place the butt in the grid and if you have a meat thermometer place it in the center of the butt making sure not to put it up against the bone and in the meaty portion and not the fat.

If after an hour or so things look good come back and check it in another hour. If after another hour things look good your egg is humming along at 250 degrees or a little hotter you can check it every three hours but leave the dome closed just check the dome thermometer.

Now after a few hours depending on your butt the internal temp will approach the plateau phase and your butt may sit at the 150-170 degree IT temp for several hours so don't worry.

Once your internal temp starts rising again you know you are coming out of the plateau and the collagen has melted. As your butt approaches 195-205 degrees get ready to wrap it in heavy duty foil twice then in a towel or two then in a cooler for at least 20 min's and possibly up to 4 hours. Good luck and post your cook and ask questions. Enjoy. Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I would season your butt just before it goes in the egg. If there is a lot of salt in your rub it could have an adverse effect on you meat. If there is not a lot of salt it may be alright. Some others may chime in for that. Tim :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you put on the butts as it is coming up to temp you run a high risk of creosote and nasty flavors from the VOCs burning off of the lump.

That thick white smoke you see as the egg is coming to temp is not the good stuff you want. Smell it. It smells nasty and has that chemical odor. Let that burn off, then put on the meat. Your taste buds will thank you.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I personally apply the rub after I light the egg. I don't see any benefit of applying it any earlier. I don't see how it would go through any significant osmosis effect like a liquid marinade would allow.
  • phar71
    phar71 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks for that. That is what I will do, apply rub and put on egg!