Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get a high temp with plate setter

Options
egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ever since I bought the plate setter, I can't get the dome temp over 350 with it upright or 300 with it inverted. I'm trying to cook 2 small stuffed birds and it istaking all night. I have the large egg, the lump is 1/2 up the fire ring. I started the fire without the plate set in and had the dome temp up to 400. As soon as I put the setter in the egg, the temp dropped to 275 and has been between 290 and 300 for nearly 2 hours. It doesn't matter if I have the air vent wide open or closed up. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]Let's start with two questions to you:[p]1) What size egg?
    2) What's the diameter of the platesetter?[p]Puj

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    egghead2004,
    With the platesetter in place you will need to open the top and bottom more. The platesetter restricts the air flow. [p]Try opening her up to where you would for say 500 degrees or higher. [p]Also - are you using new lump? I think it burns hotter.[p]Doug

• egghead2004
    Options
    OK, I opened the vent on the bottom wide open and slid the daisy wheel all the way off the top of the egg. In 15 minutes the temp went to 375 and then I started getting the blue flame out the top. The chicks were wonderful. I guess that thing does restrict the air. Good, now on to a 6 pound butt. So I added more fresh lump and right now trying to stablize @ 225.[p]Good night all, and Woo Doggies, I still have not forgotten to post that sauce recipe. I've been real busy at work and have not had any time to log onto BGE. Maybe tomorrow since the Pats don't play this week.