Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, What have I done?

Options
Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put 4 Boston Butts on my large BGE this morning at 10:00 AM, with anticipation of taking them off tomorrow morning. I stabilized the temperature for an hour and half at 225 and left for a meeting. When I returned at 2:30 PM the internal temperature reading was 203 on one and 198 on the other and the dome temperature was 285. I removed the probes and replaced them, thinking they must be near a bone, and the temperature only went down about 50 degrees.[p]At this rate, they are going to be ready much sooner than anticipated. I have closed the bottom vent to reduce the dome temperature, and hope to keep it on for as long as possible.[p]My plans were to pull the pork on site for a large church gathering tomorrow. However, they may be done much sooner than I had hoped. How long can I let them go on the egg and how high of a temperature can they get and still be tasty and moist? How long will they stay hot wrapped in Aluminum foil and towels and put into a cooler?[p]Thank you so much for your help[p]Butch

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Butch M,
    If you replaced the probes and now the meat is reading 150, you seem to be doing pretty good. You know about the temperature plateau, don't you? If not, the internal temp will stop rising around 150-170 and stay there a very long time. This is when the connective tissue (collagen) is breaking down into gelatin. You don't want to rush things, so get your cooker back down to the temp you originally wanted, and then be patient. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz